VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

Prolly not, and if he did it would only be in Trampa VESCs. I’ll just keep using Ack until something better comes along. Features aside, my stuff works… And I even have reverse :smile:.

7 Likes

You know, private data can become public once the lawsuits come rolling in. Unless he isn’t selling VESCs with the latest FW, which would be telling.

4 Likes

Current mode with Wand remote (NRF remotes don’t have many control modes like PPM).

I’m not 100% sure yet if it’s the FW4.0 but I think so. After downgrading to FW3.62 and testing on weekend I should know and report back here. Maybe I need to downgrade the Wand as well :thinking:

8 Likes

please test for all our sakes, both @DavidC and @Titoxd1000 have reported similar issues that were resolved by downgrading

3 Likes

Same happens to me, the board wobble in a strange way, can not push the throttle harder because it is getting quite dangerous. I have 2 Vesc6+, canbus, 6380 TB motors, miniremote PPM…It is the same as @rich described…

7 Likes

@Halbj613: Check you USB cable. Those issues are often USB related. You can try a TCB bridge and see if you get the same issue with wireless connections.

Whobbles: We did some tests this morning and tried to replicate what some users described here:
Benjamin will publish a FW update with a lower standard Time Constant value.
Currently the detection uses 4000uS. This affects the KP and KI value on motor detection.
For everyone experiencing a wobble at a certain RPM, please use 1000uS Time Constant during detection.

11 Likes

Quick guys, Ben’s pusing a change that’s mostly untested on many setups to the stable main branch. I would recommend updating immediately for the latest and greatest . . . If you can get to the vesc tool that is

10 Likes

anyone else start getting over current faults after switching to HFI? Can’t even go past 50% duty before cutouts start happening… also is there any reason for HFI to be active when braking? I never had cogging when braking sensorless, but HFI braking feels a bit gritty/not smooth

1 Like

HFI is only used on slow speeds, low ERPM. As soon as Back EMFs are good enough to track the rotor, HFI is not used any more. This is similar to Sensors.

ABS over current is in most cases related to the motor resistance value or other motor detection parameters or it is HW related. You can try the tweak I described above, set down the time constant for detection. If you had a working setup, you can go back in FW, do a detection, backup the detection values and restore them after updating to the latest FW. There is a backup option in VESC-Tool now.

1 Like

Where are these files stored? I wasn’t able to find them.

2 Likes

They’re on the TRS-80 in the garage.

6 Likes

Desktop: NEXT to FILE >> ConfBackup.
Mobile: First page, all the way down at the bottom of the page.

Location of the file: I need to look that up for you.

I recall trying the newer vesc tools just prior to 4.x and my detected max amps were always way low, like 21A or less. I thought this was odd since on Acks I’m doing 80A/120A no problem. I also ran into stuttering and overcurrent faults. I may try copying over the detection parameters manually, or I may just stick with the stable branch for now… those wobbles are a little crazy looking.

1 Like

Ackmaniac?

6 Likes

Yep. 5char

3 Likes

Next time perhaps do this kind of testing, and more, before one pushes live code to a codebase that can literally injure people.

These are dangerous and negligent coding practices. Sorry if that’s a jagged pill to swallow but it’s the truth.

Frank, may I please direct you to this thread, again, as it couldn’t be more relevant if I tried:

Open to having the conversation if you’d like to have it, but at this point we’re moving forward with a community tested ‘stable’ fork.

12 Likes

Ack seems like the easy answer to everything, except it apparently doesn’t work well on hw6

All you would need is a stable FW since VESC tool basically adopts to the FW it finds on the ESC. So once you have created that FW, VESC-Tool needs a coordinating file and will then set itself up to match the FW. If you would like to work on that FW and coordinating Vesc-Tool settings, you should contact Benjamin to integrate them.

If you load FW3.61 for example, the motor detection is done the 3.61 style, the menus are 3.61 style, basically you go back in time, except that new features like eg better data analysis, logging,ConfigBackup etc. are available with the latest tool.

Sorry- Did you reply to the correct person?

I appreciate the input but I don’t need any assistance in understanding how the software/firmware works or how to develop on it. I think you’re aware of my background.

I am more than happy to sync with BV on these efforts but I have zero expectation of it as he’s a busy guy.

The very purpose of a community fork is to add value and feedback to a codebase, so my hope is that it can provide beneficial input & potentially code PRs. I hope it helps.

14 Likes

Did detections again with T=1000uS and… the wobbles are gone :metal: :sunglasses:
I can’t believe it, 52km/h (32.3mph) without wobbles.

The duty cycle value still jumps but maybe less

But sometimes it feels a bit strange when almost reaching top speed. It affects both motors at the same time so it is not really dangerous.

After looking at at the logs I can see what the “strange feeling” was. Sometimes motor and battery current drops exactly at the speed where the wobbles started before but I can keep accelerating. The current drops about 1.5 seconds before I stop accelerating at about 50km/h.

or another example

No idea what’s happening here but no more wobbles :man_shrugging:

12 Likes