VESC-Tool 2.0 and Firmware 4.0 - The beginning of a new era - (SERIOUS)

HFI is used at low modulation (duty cycle/speed) 3 shunts really becomes beneficial as modulation is increased and the sampling window for current measurements decreases. So HFI will work equally well on two shunt designs.

Phase shunts do offer a benefit of doubling the sampling frequency which makes it easier to move into the inaudible range but we need to do some tricks before it’s possible to run 45 khz pwm sampling v0 and v7 without maxing out CPU.

16 Likes

So, should i run motor detection to get hfi optimally set up or just choose hfi from the menu?
Also, any guidelines on configuring it ?

1 Like

So who’s tried this on focbox? This HFI thing might actually make me try something other than 2.54 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I will try it tomorrow :+1:

Edit: I need a new soldering iron, will report back in a day, sorry

Edit 2: Played around with it a bit, 1/3rd of the time it tries going in the wrong direction; doesn’t feel any better than just regular sensorless FOC currently, but will play around with it some more later. Gonna watch that tutorial Deodand made :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Let everyone know how it goes, if this works on v4.12 reference boards it breathes some fresh air into them.

3 Likes

Made a video tutorial, kinda long but I wanted to be somewhat thorough:

hopefully this video becomes obsolete soon and the algorithm can just configure itself :slight_smile:

33 Likes

@Deodand s tutorial is fucking magic. got a vesc 4 working with HFI

14 Likes

Does HFI work in BLDC mode?

3 Likes

nope, in bldc it only shows hybrid, sensored or sensorless. The HFI setting only appears in FOC mode

4 Likes

Who uses FOC/BLDC?

• BLDC
  • FOC

0 voters

3 Likes

gonna be honest, only started using foc to have nicer sensor integration. with the unsensored motors i was always pushing first and using bldc. now that the foc HFI is there, I’ll probably just be using foc now purely for that, both hfi and nicer sensor integration

5 Likes

there is an update now for the new firmware

2 Likes

This HFI noise reminds me what I have with ROXXY 12S ESC.

High pitch noise at startup and almost no cogging without sensors

7 Likes

It’s nothing else than that.

I seem to have got good result with 8, 4 and 4V. Awesome :clap:t2:

5 Likes

Ive seen hella 4.12 burned just from trying to do motor detection in FOC, is that no longer a problem anymore?

2 Likes

Perhaps a bit unrelated?
But what’s the difference between write motor config and write app config?
Each time I enter something I don’t know which to press, so I always go with both.

3 Likes

Motor config locks in your motor and battery settings, app locks in your controller settings.

5 Likes

I know the difference — and still press both “read” and both “write” before and after ANY change. Just easier to eliminate another way a possible error can happen.

11 Likes

I’m running on the 4.20 dual VESC from Flipsky but it’s still a 4.12 hardware if I am not mistaken, never had issue running motor detection in FOC though…

I don’t think it’s an option for you to run detection in BLDC anymore since some time ago :thinking:

1 Like