VESC settings you should know about / (VESC for beginners)

I’m running a P42A 12s8p and my battery current max is set to 60A each side. Should I up it to 120 based on this info? (Stormcore 60D)

3 Likes

You could definitely up it more because your battery could take it, however the recommendation from lacroix is 65A max per side

1 Like

Yeah I’m running 95A motor current as well which is above their recommended happy place but so far so good

2 Likes

Honestly I’m not 100% sure what the safe limit for battery amps would be. I assume lacroix’s recommendation is based on pack size and not esc capability.

My understanding is that battery amps is set to protect the pack. Setting it higher than recommended by lacroix would make sense because lacroix literally only sells 4p batteries (12s and 18s).

The 60d is limited by your motor amp settings and battery amps. I’m not sure you can damage it by setting battery amps too high, but I could be wrong. In reality, setting battery amps from 50 per side to 80 per side - I dont think you’ll notice an obvious difference, (like you would if you did the same for motor amps).

Example - starting from a standstill you jam on throttle going uphill. You spike your motor amps up to 80 amps, but your battery amps only ever hit 35 amps. That’s because you use the most amps when your duty cycle (speed) is also low, so you don’t draw much current from the battery.

I don’t think it’s even possible to draw more than 160 amps from the battery if you are running 80 amps per motor, so no reason to set it higher than that.

1 Like

18V of sag on 1P :grin:

3 Likes

Vesc settings understanding: ??

If the battery capacity for continuous discharge is 135a, isnt the thoretucal limit for battery amps in vesc tool ~65a? Im happy to leave at 50a (per side)

im trying to understand the relationship between pack capacity and how high i can run it while still being friendly to the the pack somewhat, i dont push it real hard too often, %90 of the time im riding like nanna…

Whatever app that is, its lying.

P42a is only good for 30A per cell and even that’s pushing it.

A 3p pack shouldn’t be taken over 90a, 45a per side. At 50 per side i wouldn’t be surprised if you’re seeing pretty hefty sag

Its also lying about the capacity. P42a is a 4000mah cell

2 Likes

Under normal conditions. I dont use under about %60 battery, it runs to the bar, charges and runs home. No sag noticed at all even at lower pack charge. (4k+ on it now)

1 Like

You might not be pushing it hard enough to milk all the amps. And that’s fine. I’d still lower to 45 per side

1 Like

Seems inline wIth the data sheet for typical values

1 Like

you may also want to lower the regen current. I’m running a 12s4p and I’ve only got it set to 16 amps per side. I doubt the high regen is causing any real damage, but it’s something to be aware of.

I always take the side of the minimum :rofl:

1 Like

Maybe he’s trying to fly like Superman.

Try -15A per side. If you want stiffer brakes at high speed, maybe lower it to -20A per side.

-60A per side (battery current) is insanity.

-60A motor current is fine, or a bit weak even.
2 Likes

personally i like -80A per side and -60A per side regen
12s6p p42
i think @Battery_Mooch did a post awhile back about instantaneous amps into a cell being alot higher than charging current

3 Likes

I usually run -40A as I like stiffer brakes

1 Like

I am talking about battery current, not motor current. Edited the post above.

1 Like

isn’t that the regen setting?

There are many settings, got to be more descriptive.

There is motor max (per motor), motor regen (per motor), battery max (per motor), battery regen (per motor).

I was talking about battery regen (per motor)

I think your mistaking motor brake for motor regen?

they are named regen and brake but… but both affect brakes. both can be called regen. and do sometimes.

in the same way that motor current can exceed battery current at lower duty cycles. motor braking current can exceed battery current regen. ( it’s actually in proportion to duty cycle)

But “motor current max brake” multiplied by “duty cycle” can’t exceed “battery current max regen”, The motor current will be scaled down accordingly.

so battery current regen ends up being high speed braking and motor current max brake is low speed braking.

you need to consider both when tuning your braking.

5 Likes