VESC HD, a credit card sized twin motor controller

You didn’t miss it. We will add them to the website soon.

3 Likes

Let’s not forget that the first iteration of VESC 6 used a buck converter for the analog rail.

Make sure your A.S.S. doesn’t start up backwards.

6 Likes

@Trampa Hi Frank,

This might interest you:

4 Likes

If someone likes writing about the latest stuff, he should probably pick his own words.
Interesting to see a second Esk8.news sub forum LOL

4 Likes

Its not, its the old builders forum Jason Potter owns.
And since the account it got posted from has the “leader” status he’s probably behind blatantly copying your posts to drive users to his website using popular items.

5 Likes

I know, that is why I made fun of it.
The sub forum on ESB is called ESK8.NEWS.FORUM

I love writing about the latest esk8 news! Esk8.news.forum

2 Likes

hammer time!

1 Like

He did it intentionally to get users when they search for forum.esk8.news

6 Likes

It was quite smart though, i admire your ingenuity on a base level.

1 Like

I’d be curious to know which ports/rails are connected internally between the two units. To power it up, is it sufficient to connect one of the two XT60 to the battery or do we need to connect both?

Same question about connecting to CAN.

What about PPM? Any redundancy there as well such that when the VESC that has the PPM receiver connected dies, the other will still function?

Cheers!

2 Likes

You need to connect both XT60 - the power PCBs are split to allow servicing of power stages and achieve a redundancy effect. Internal connections are mainly CAN and hibernation functionality.
If you want independent, redundant control of the two outputs, you probably need a third device commanding both sides individually from another. If that is a gain in safety is questionable since that controller could also give up one day. You could also run two individual receivers.

2 Likes

BTW: The units arrived and we are now flashing and testing them. Shipping happens from next week on.

1 Like

Makes sense. Thank you. It would be nice if you figured out a nice compact harness with a single XT90 (?) input and two XT60 outputs that one could use for connecting to the battery easily. That would be a neat accessory.

2 Likes

We have a PCB already, suitable for our mountain boards. I will make some different versions with PCB level fuses once I find a minute. This year was quite turbulent and I have to be realistic about what we can achieve till Christmas.

I will probably also make one PCB for under board tray solutions with a sidesway oriented output.
We think that it can be an advantage to have different input options for different ESC placements.
I might even offer PCBs for left or right side connection (mirror flipped versions).

There are also 2 pads below the XT60 connectors. If you really want to save every mm, you could de-solder the XT60 and put some cables there.

5 Likes

First 100pcs HD 60T’s are flashed and tested.

11 Likes

Size of a single HD:

13 Likes

that’s tiny!

3 Likes

Laser engraving om brushed aluminium ? Looks beautifull

Bottom side is laser edged. The housing is 6061T6 brushed alloy. All screws stainless torx.
Mounting pattern (screw position) for the TWIN is: 18.2 x 95.7mm
Size of TWIN HD: 101x 52mm

3 Likes

@Trampa can you do an open loop test on the bench like @Deodand has been doing so we can see how much time it takes to throttle? I think it’s at 80A

4 Likes