VESC HD, a credit card sized twin motor controller

Our customers range from space to deep see applications.

3 Likes

yes, that’s why

4 Likes

Set a lowest common denominator

The “configurability” is a selling point for a reason

1 Like

BTW if you’re actually selling to space,

Then you should be using a rad hardened MCU like the SAMV71Q21

3 Likes

Depending on whom you ask, you get different answers and there is no one shoe fits all answer.
Even in skateboarding the opinions differ big time.
Lowest common denominator is non existent in motor control. It is a very complex topic and the VESC environment is the first OS solution that allows many different people and startups to control their motors the way they want things to be. So wizards and pre-sets will become more important in future. This way we can define a good starting point and speed up the setup process and make things safer for the user.

4 Likes

Idk dude, Texas Instruments figured it out.
https://www.ti.com/microcontrollers/c2000-real-time-control-mcus/applications/instaspin.html

It’s the industry standard, you can find it from power tools to tesla model 3 inverters.

7 Likes

@Trampa
The issue for me with high duty cycle limit is not the sudden loss of torque when reaching full RPM (you seem to think this is the one and only issue)… It’s “the wiggles” throwing you of the board during acceleration.

The wiggles that is caused by the motors going into some oscillating mode… which for some people happens during full accelerations with fw5… BEFORE any significant high RPM is reached.

It’s possible you cant experience this using Vedders escs (or maybe you dont push the throttle enough) but other HW has reported this issue with fw5.

So… This is the main issue with having 100% as default in vesc tool… its not safe. At least according to me an my dual motor submarine.

Q: What risks to human have been seen from other areas than eskate when using a value lower than 100%?

7 Likes

Could be that some hardware has issues with oscillation. Hard to tell without having a direct comparison in between different HW. On our units we can push full throttle at any time without any issues. Full acceleration tests are what we do as standard. Our team riders love to hold down the throttle…

If you experience wobbles on certain HW, you can try to play a bit with the time constant value during detection.

2 Likes

Is this thread about vesc settings?
Guess then I’m wrong here

6 Likes

would be good to split…

4 Likes

While I love the concept of the VESC HD, IMO the price difference is not enough to sway me away from the full size VESC6.

7 Likes

Size can matter…, so price is not the only argument here. We have done 4WD builds with twin VESC HD60T inside the Monster Boxand 1.55KWh of juice from 21700 cells.

4 Likes

Yes it can matter.
I was just voicing my personal preference. I would just try and find the extra space.

3 Likes

Best term for this yet. Crashed from the wiggles under default duty cycle current limit start settings.

Full acceleration issues are zero fun to diagnose.

@ducktaperules your understanding of that code is what I understand of it as well. You had mentioned it previously and I still agree and think it really deserves some consideration from BV. It makes logical sense physically from what I’ve felt while having the settings accidentally too close (1% difference) and from when I had them 15% apart.

VESC HD looks like a nice size but is personally too pricey for my interest.

4 Likes

TWIN VESC 6 + dongle is 400+TAX, HD is 325+Tax.
We hope that over time we can get the cost down a bit more.

4 Likes

Dude, you can probably fit like, 4x more 21700 cells into a 4wd build w/ these instead of the full sizers!

5 Likes

What if “hypothetically” a person bought a complete board from your http://trampaboards.com/ website with vesc6’s and with this bugged firmware pre-installed into them and while riding had near-death crash because of oscillating motor brakings and is crippled for the rest of the life. Who will be responsible for it?

15 Likes

Not sure this scenario is that hypothetical. The are people that have broken many ribs from this bug on stock boards.

5 Likes

“hypothetically” the boards were shipped with wrong settings. So I am curious as @Trampa himself preaching about choosing correct application settings, but his own products are shipped with wrong settings to the customers who now have experienced serious health issues because of this. I am curious how is it going to be handled?

7 Likes

Someone hook me up with parts for my flux build, and I’ll add a Vehicle Type config to the wizard where we can cram all the esk8 settings you want. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes