VESC HD, a credit card sized twin motor controller

Something that makes good use of the phase voltage filters?

2 Likes

How many “space” users do you have vs electric skateboard users? How many space faring companies are even out there? A handful? I highly doubt NASA uses vescs, and even if they did, they would test the hell out of everything before they strap a human in a rocket.

But the thousands of average joes using vescs will use the wizard, bench test a few times, and then hop on and test it out themselves.

Do you make it safer for 1 user with teams of engineers and scientists who will study and test everything or do you make it safer for thousands of average joes who’ll basically test it on their own bodies?

22 Likes

:male_detective: :eyes:

6 Likes

We want to make it better and safer for everyone! If there are 500 unicycle users and 5000 skate users, I would want all of them to profit from new FW and new features while offering a better setup method and less chance to get something wrong. So we would look into finding a method to have the best basic setup for each user base, no matter of user base numbers. I personally advocate a drop-down menu with application selector and a final pop-up, showing the wizard result and your choices and a warning.
Maybe have the application permanently display your application on the front screen of the app.
It will be a process…

4 Likes

Quote from the VESC project

Using VESC hardware and software allows you to set up your device within minutes - not days.

So dose the software and hardwere alow a novis to fined the answer and add the correct settings to avoid the incorrect settings to be applied in this case or are you devatibg from the brief?

1 Like

First: what

Second: if you learn the app, it takes seconds, not minutes to change a value on 2 vescs connected over can.
If you don’t know jack shit, you do the wizard and poke an eye out on these forums until you get the courage to go top speed. I assume the 85% value is not that common info yet unfortunately and it does need to be addressed.

Also the app could do with a bit more user friendliness ui, some descriptions for at least complicated values that explain use cases, not just what it changes, and a really necessary tone change from that grey background

@Trampa will the vesc hd support a higher switching frequency?
On vesc 6+ i can hear it faintly at 25khz and only on low battery at 30khz. It almost sounds like a wheel is slowly losing air so it’s quite odd

2 Likes

VESC-Tool is work in progress…
A lot of things now reached a a certain level of perfection and more and better documentation is happening as we speak.
BTW: We made nice videos earlier this year, helping noobs to get started and get things right from the beginning. We also added translations in most spoken languages like French, Italian, Spanish, German…

Switching frequency of such devices is always a bit more limited, compared to the devices with dedicated gate drivers. However, 25Khz is quite a good frequency for the typical skate outrunner.

6 Likes

Affordable. Yeah. An Aston Martin is affordable too.

Also please remove vesc from your esc. It’s trademarked.

8 Likes

Can you tell us more about A. S. S.?

1 Like

When you feel the torque kicking in your . . . you know more.

2 Likes

“Wiggles” suck at 45mph, broke my fibula. Still not sure what caused the wiggles, this was a 4wd stormcores and 63100bmotors.

8 Likes

I’ve been occasionally keeping an eye on vedders github and haven’t seen anything related to ass- development is going on offline I assume?

Nothing there yet. Vedder worked on BMS and IO stuff recently. One thing after another…

3 Likes

Frank, what’s the size of the bms? Any eta?

1 Like

Small. Roughly 130 x 28 x 14mm, 18S capable and pretty feature rich. It’s the next thing to go into production.

4 Likes

“affordable”

Good examples:
Affordable Flipshit VESC
Affordable MakerX DV6
Affordable fake Unity

Bad examples:
Affordable e-toxx hubs
Affordable LaCroix boards
Affordable Bioboards deck&enclosure

:wink:

No offense, I like the most of “affordable” Trampa stuff

6 Likes

The upper examples externalise most of the R&D cost…

3 Likes

Didn’t Trampa ESC start from a existing working OS project. Couldn’t we apply the same logo that Trampa externalised most of there R&D costs?

1 Like

No, we started with the till then non existing HW 6 and the firmware therefore and VESC-Tool. The HW 4 and the old BLDC Tool was dropped in favour of better performance.

3 Likes

can we get some pictures of the pcb/s? :slight_smile:

Maybe I missed it somewhere

2 Likes