VESC FW 5.x - Beta Testers wanted [SERIOUS]

I record my motor detection settings

Sometimes I even average three detections

3 Likes

Probably not a bad idea, have you noticed better behaviour for using averaged settings?

Not a bug, it’s a feature.
Cut off the power button completely and when you get home just give it a lil thump on the ground to shut off.

On a more serious, general note: when Vedder returns from his break on this project, are we hopefully going to see improvements on the user interface? Maybe? Please?

And a noob question: what does switching frequency do on the foc mode? Did anyone try changing from the default?

1 Like

No​

1 Like

when you posted that, I thought about it… nothing really wrong about doing it the averaging method, but usually my motors detect very similar settings…

sometimes our ADD gets to us trying to perfect art, that we end up on a fools errand to pick flyshit out of the pepper mill…

:wave:t4: I’m guilty of that at times as well… :wave:t4:

2 Likes

Well I found my bump and cracks power off problem.

Glad it’s an easy fix.

7 Likes

For me, that kind of connector gets a bit of flux and solder on the wire after I crimped it. That way there’s no wondering about the integrity of the mechanical connection.

5 Likes

yep exactly what i did. went ahead and did the other one while I was at it. QC on this switch sucked I’m kinda worried about the rest of the battery now.

2 Likes

Temperature as increasing highly here in the Alps and my closed Maytech motors are over-warming a lot !
The problem is that when the master motor is getting too hot, it shuts slave power off as well.
Time to dig into the FW code which was the opportunity to work on other concerns.

What I achieved so far on PPM app :

• Changed : Master still keeps the slave running if a local fault occurs
  • Changed : Master now sends relative value instead (%) instead of absolute value (A) (great for multiple VESC with different currents settings)
  • Fixed : Timeout current brake feature not working
  • Fixed : brake command sent over CANbus even if Multiple VESC over CAN disabled
  • Fixed : delay before switching slave off in case of RX timeout

Here what it looks like so far :

Please share your thoughts. :pray:
Other features you’d want to see while I’m on it ?

It has been tested with Current no Reverse with brake only. I need to test other control type.
Then, I’ll have a look to make it consistent with other apps (WAND, ADC…)

16 Likes

this has needed some attention for awhile, thanks for your work!

8 Likes

Thanks for your work, really appreciated! Can you please test with Current mode next?

2 Likes

Really appreciate your words Sir. Thanks. :slightly_smiling_face:

Done today.
After a fix, it works but I now struggle with the traction control… :pensive:
I’m glad that Ben implemented FW flash and config restoring over CAN ! It makes the dev much more easier !

5 Likes

Is there an “official” beta built for FW5.2 yet which includes the IMU stuff for the stormcore? keen to test this if there is a build i can flash.

2 Likes

@NuRxG

Ben has been integrating some more changes before the next release and there is some minor stuff I need to get in there as well.

One cool addition will be integrating a pull request for MTPA. Now that the inductance detection routine can detect L and Q axis inductance you can run the motors slightly more efficiently by adding in some D-axis current. Vedder has also been doing some testing in regards to field weakening but I haven’t had enough time to discuss where he is at there in awhile. Getting this PPM stuff in for testing would be awesome as well.

8 Likes

If that’s cool, especially if it leads to field weakening further down the line.

2 Likes

Ive also been doing a big rewrite of the balance stuff, but i got about 25% in and then got lazy :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Can we include code that mandates running Battery Voltage Cutoff Start logic for a few seconds before running the Battery Voltage Cutoff End logic?

This is to protect the rider in case there’s a sudden drop in voltage that blows right past both settings, so that we have some time to prepare for Cutoff.

At the same time, we won’t have to try and trick the system by putting in really low values for Battery Voltage Cutoff End, which also affects the throttling.

I’m sure @Scepterr and others would support and welcome this change. I know I would @Deodand. :wink:

4 Likes

*can you write

3 Likes

It was actually my profession for 17 years, so yes I can do a simple loop statement, even if I didn’t use this exact language before.

It is predicated upon knowing where to make the change and having compilers etc. installed on my MBP though.