Vacuum forming- everything you need to know + helpful links to old forum

The edges are 100% infill and about 4-5mm. I didn’t have any deformation around the edges of mine, mainly in the center where the infill was like 20% and the wall thickness like 2-3mm.

The key is to work fast and cool quickly. Have a freezer towel or something really cold to cool the sheet quickly. Also if you have sharp transitions in the mold drill a small pin hole for vacuum in that area (like corners).

4 Likes

First attempt at vac forming today.
3mm styrene sheet formed over a buck and the deck to get matching concave on the flange.

6 Likes

Very nice! Are you going to use that one for a mold so you can get the concave shape on the next buck? You could probably save some space and material that way.

Yeah considered that. Might do. Really just a test of the heater setup and vac former first. Went pretty well after I removed the tilt switch from the heater I used. Haha.
Spent minimal time on preparing the buck which was just repaired from one I broke when I made a vac bagged carbon enclosure. Covered in packing tape which actually showed up on the vac formed part which was a surprise.
Probably remake a smaller frame to just cover the board and save material and make a new enclosure buck with a new shape.

Anyone have experience using vac formed parts as a female mould for fibreglass or carbon enclosures? If I hit the mould with release wax and pvc is a carbon layup going to release from it?

4 Likes

Result.

Harder to cut neatly than expected. Melts easily. Best result with score and snap. Followed by hand held electric planer. :+1:

8 Likes

Really like what you have done here, seems like the best way to get a perfect fit and seal.

I wish I had the space for a vac former that large.

Just to revive this thread real quick, I am currently working on building a vacuum former for my enclosure.

This is it so far :sob: but hopefully it comes together. After seeing your results @rosco i wish I had made it big enough for the whole deck. As is, my plan is to use a heat gun to shape the flat flanges of the enclosure to the deck.

I bought some 3mm ABS sheets, and I plan to fabric skin for strength, and to match my board. Im glad I found this thread haha, I dont plan things ahead very much I just go for it and try to figure it out on the way.

Wish me luck!

4 Likes

How did this end up going? My new neighbors are cool with expanding the shop in the garage so I may have room for one finally.

I abandoned the vacuum forming because I couldn’t be bothered to make a heating chamber for the ABS sheet. I ended up making the world’s shittiest buck and using a heat gun and clamps to form the enclosure bit by bit. It turned out really shitty and I scrapped that build because of it :joy:

Moral of the story, prep work is everything. If youre like me, and are not willing to put in the prep-work, then just buy an enclosure from @BigBen haha

4 Likes

I’m working a 1500w ceramic heating element into an appropriately insulated thermoplastic oven.

I found large sheets of of 0.118 inch Kydex V on Amazon.

I’ll post if It works, eventually.

4 Likes

Just found this Thread!
We are on a very similar mission. Fired it up the first time a few days ago.
Result was quite shitty but now I know I need to work on better heat distribution.
If only 1000x500 mm² ABS was cheaper I could test a lot faster to iterate. Know I’m stuck with overthinking instead of spending money :frowning: