Tubeless tires discussion

9" wheel tire combo I chose for the off-road build.
Tubeless with 6x4 wheel. All off the shelf go kart.

Spun Aluminum wheel halves on karting hubs.

Pressure wise you could run these as low as 15psi.

I really think this is the direction we need to be going. In a smaller scale 155mm ish.

IMG_20210610_050752

5 Likes

Iā€™ve litteraly been preaching this for yearsā€¦please somenone make a tubeless hubb!!! @3DServisas @surfnacho @anyonewhowilllisten

Lower profile tires with a bigger hubā€¦and NO TUBES!

PLEEEEAAASE! :sob::sob::sweat_smile::sunglasses: WE will all buy!

For a tire like this

6 Likes

whats the difference

3 Likes

Donā€™t have to worry about tube ripping, allows you to use less tire pressure, if such a hub were to be made, many more tire sizes would be available. Overall less flats in my opinion. Tires are also better quality, less wobble.

3 Likes

Iā€™m interested in this as well. If somebody makes these hubs with offset center and with standard bold pattern like MBS or Trampa so that common belt pulleys and gear drives can be used with it that would be instabuy from me.

I will be attempting this with a set of bergs soon. Iā€™ll keep you posted with results. This method worked great on several of my mountain bikeshttps://youtu.be/zI9DM34LHAo

3 Likes

Those MTB rims and tires are ā€œTubeless Readyā€. They are made for tubeless conversion in mind. The rim has bead seat and bead lock, so the tubeless tire can sit properly and securely. Tubeless sealant slime will probably not be enough for the conversion. Iā€™m not too familiar with Bergs, but do they have this feature? Anyway, Iā€™m waiting for your results.

2 Likes

While I would like this to work since I have a ton of flats on Bergs, there is one big difference between then and MB rim in the video, being that the Bergs splits in half. I am not sure that the tape will be enough to seal it.

But on the other hand, if you succeed, you will save a lot of people, a lot of money.

Kaly new hubs split as well and they were supposed to be tubeless. I also just noticed that they donā€™t have the bead seat and bead lock, so maybe Bergs will work fine.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve done tubeless conversions on both tubed rims/tires and tubeless ready tires using stand sealant with good results. I agree the lock makes a difference but above 40psi I donā€™t suspect Iā€™ll have issues but weā€™ll see

1 Like

Rim tape will be sufficient. With Mtb rims there are nipples for spokes and rim tape plus Stanā€™s sealant does a great job stopping leaks

1 Like
6 Likes

Snapā€¦this is actually a game changer if it works

3 Likes

About time. Balancing will be easier also i guess. :alien::facepunch:

Tubeless on such a small rim makes barely any difference. The only reason to do it is for monoblock rims, and that would require deep seats for tyre changesā€¦ putting tubeless on a split rim is a waste of time

3 Likes

fuck these could be huge for racing, that Powell Peralta esk8 shirt is sick!

1 Like

So whatā€™s the difference besides being more expensive?
Pinch flats arenā€™t really a thing on esk8 anywaysā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s a wank factor. It saves 30g of rotational weight.

On the con side, thereā€™s higher risk of puncture, or they will use a thicker tyre which is then heavier. You also canā€™t use a regular pump, need a boost to seat the tyre or use sealant.

3 Likes

the overpowered lawnmower :anguished: