To fuse or not to fuse!

Find a way to simulate what it feels like to accelerate hard when sudden power cuts, board pull out faster than a bullet train then turns him into painful superman, I have learnt it the hard way, don’t be like me.

Pic were taken after few days of rest, my whole arm was just blood the first day

5 Likes

I’d just use a fuse that’s huge like 200A+ on the discharge path so it’s unlikely to blow for any reason other than meltdown.

As far as the discharge BMS, you can connect the board lights to P- and if you’re crafty about how you describe it, they might be happy.

3 Likes

Yea, i’m thinking of a fuse on the charge port, bypass discharge, and a fuse on the discharge end.

Any recommendations for a beefy 200A+ fuse? Aliexpress link would be great

1 Like

Tell him discharge BMS will make his dick fly off

2 Likes

Are there actually any cases where someone blew a correctly sized fuse and crashed? I put a discharge fuse in every battery I build and never heard of a problem in my community. I think if you build and configure everything properly you just get extra safety without any real downsides.

2 Likes

A ESC is a somewhat of a fuse itself, if it shorts itself will be dead and no breaks will be there, don’t see a way a 200a fuse would protect it in any way, if your ESC was 200a and you used 100a of power than probably it could be saved, but if going for max power don’t see a way ESC could be protected.

But again not too much knowledge on this, and a firm believer of let the board burn but let me have breaks :smiley: So my board stops me an not a car going 50kmh

3 Likes

26.6666666 etc.

2 Likes

Show him this: “I would prefer to be stuck on a big fireball with brakes”…

Perfext example of this:

the fuse cut the power and prevented the vesc from burning down the whole enclosure insides

7 Likes

First time building an electric skateboard, using a charge port and a ltt BMS with two 5s lipo batteries, will be soldering them in series with a harness, should I use fuses for the charge port, before the BMS and after? wasn’t told before when I was asking for info

Before

2 Likes

How many fuses should I have in total? Also which ones should I get for a 2a charger?

Not sure what u mean by how many. Put one the +V wire, then u r good. As for the amps, if u r never gonna use more than 2a charging, then a 4a or 5a fuse will do

2 Likes

So just one for the BMS and all is solid

Yea, unless there are even better ways that im unaware of

Yea I’m gonna keep asking around to make sure

1 Like

U can ask in the battery thread to see if others have other suggestions

Kinda pointless imo, sometimes fuses will blow or the very inconsistent voltages will blow the esc fuse fairly quick and for the draw and amps ur esc would take ur looking at some somewhat expensive fuses with at least 2-3 weeks of wait time in between orders. If they were to pop and u don’t have a spare u might need to forgo the fuse or wait 2-3 weeks of downtime on ur board. If its the charge port ur fusing use a bladed fuse. those r fairly common u can pick them up at ur auto parts store or hardware store, or even take a spare from ur car.

Red souls is just talking about fusing the charge port don’t worry, we haven’t been trying to suggest fusing the discharge path for the same reasons you said plus the safety risk of blowing during a ride

That’s the only thing I basically need to fuse is the charge port

1 Like