Titanium Kingpins

Apparently these fit MBS Matrix II"s in addition to the Lacroix Hypertrucks.

3 Likes

Just for confirmation:

Great find man! Everybody email them now and ask for oil slick variant. It requires titanium/coating for the proper effect.

3 Likes

Any reason it needs to taper to an m6 thread? Could you just use an m8 bolt and an m8 nut?

Matrix 2 users, thoughts?
These come out to $6.52 a piece otherwise.

2 Likes

well at the very least it’s got to be mostly smooth shoulder because the trucks pivot on this bolt close to the head and close to the end. with those bolts you might have the pivoting parts on thread. probably no good.

2 Likes

Agreed that’s a good point. I need to measure the thread on my existing bolts first.

1 Like

You could just heat it with a flame as its Ti untill you get the colors you want

4 Likes

That’s a valid point as well. I’ve wanted a reason to buy a torch too.

1 Like

Why use titanium over steel here?

5 Likes

Idk lol

Because it weighs half as much per cm^3 and is still strong enough to support the load.

Realistically though, it’s to brag about saving 15g on a kingpin on a 22kg board.

2 Likes

It’s more stronger dummy.

My kingpin has been coming loose recently every few rides. Baseplate intolerance probably, need a new lock nut for sure.

i’m just curious how strong the steel bolts are that come with matrix trucks

if they are 10.9 or 12.9, then they are stronger than titanium bolts of the same dimensions

2 Likes

Wasn’t aware of that :thinking:

1 Like

the more ya know…

it may not need to be as strong as high grade steel bolts, though, if it…

after all the baseplates are aluminum, at best

there may be other good reasons to use a titanium kingpin that aren’t obvious to me, i’ll be open minded. marine environments?

Has a cool name and people associate superman strenght with it haha

1 Like

It’s hypoallergenic.

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I don’t love the design of the kingpin sitting in a metal channel without bearings.

2 Likes

God dammit I jinxed @rene. I’m so sorry dude.

2 Likes

i feel terrible i don’t know what to say. no point worrying about kingpin strength when the hanger will fail first :disappointed_relieved:

sorry @rene

1 Like