Three timing systems - an overview

Hi, this is Franck from LapMonitor, thanks for your interested in our product and your interesting tests. We recommand you using classical transponders with built-in LED with JR/Futaba or Molex connector depending how you want to connect them.
Miniz transponder are for very small rc cars and their range is much smaller then our classical black model transponders

7 Likes

Hi @rcfranck! Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

Hey! Welcome! I love your product!

If you scroll up you can read my very informal review

1 Like

RaceChrono…

I know the RaceChrono system can’t be used inside. But I had to try. Just to see for my self.

GPS trakking was all over the place.

LapMonitor though is working like a charm. I have the counter next to the start / finish line and the a tripod with the connected phone in the pit area. Phone and counter can be up to 80 meters apart.

I can take a lap swing by the pit and look at the lap time and go again. Works really good.

I still need to test it in a multi rider setup. Hope to get the change soon.

1 Like

I just learned that the Metr app works with the RaceChrono app. And their gps is 10hz. That’s friking good news!

2 Likes

I made these things that can hold a generic 18650 battery bank, then all you need to do is use a doner USB cable to extract 5V for the Lapmonitor ™ transponder.

I got fancy right angle USB cables coming in the mail tomorrow, will update.

5 Likes

Nice. I am still looking for the best solution for me. Would it be using the suggested 1s lipos. or something like this. Will follow your progress.

How many cells does the bank hold?

I made this to be able to hold a pre-made battery bank or a 21700 with a 1SBMS connected to it. I’m going to be using them with the generic USB charger things because I can charge my remote off of it in a pinch, also will be more accessible to those who don’t feel like soldering anything to race their boards

1 Like

I bought ten transponders for the LapMonitor system so I can time everyone else.

I needed some kind of protective solution so I can hand out a transponder without worrying that it will brake.

I made this case. Seems to work alright. Will test it.

Will velcro it on the board.

Battery should be enough to power the transponder for 7 hours.

If anyone have an idea for a better mounting solution, hit me.

Next I will make an angle strap. I am skeptical that it will work. But need to test it.

4 Likes

This one uses a USB battery bank, I can’t find a photo but I have a wire sending 5v to it made

3 Likes

LapMonitor have a very interesting new feature. You can now share an url for real time / live sharing of lap times and races.

We share the url and everyone can follow anywhere in the world. What an update!!

As for the time being its a beta feature on Android. Hopefully they will make it work on iOS soon.

4 Likes

Wow that’s super cool! Too bad it’s a bit expensive

2 Likes

start looking at other options… you’ll find it’s the not expensive one… :smiley:

1 Like

I’m sure - I think we have one laptimer for sdesk8 but we haven’t gotten it up and running yet

2 Likes

This :grinning:

Yeah I have one, totally worth every penny.

1 Like

I would love to get a T-Race thing going in my area and would be happy to invest in a LapMonitor setup to help make it happen. It would definitely be good to have instructions for making a transponder that individual racers can make but I would also be happy to purchase a bunch anyway.

@davidbonde thanks for all your work on this. I’m thinking that a velcro strap to mount the transponder around the width of any board would make it easy to temporarily mount and would stay put.

For someone having to manage and recharge a bunch of transponders, seems like using a single 21700 for each transponder might work well?

2 Likes

I think the barrier to get people out is to have transponders for them. I know it’s an investment, but…

Its works pretty good with the holder I designed and showed a few post up. I dont use the cover anymore as that’s too flimsy and break, and I have not made it sturdier yet.

You can get some inexpensive battery Lipo bundles as I use. With the transponder holder it makes a nice little pack. Battery last for about seven hours. So we can just let it be plugged in all day and then charge at the end of the day. There are also chargers with many of the battery bundles that charge five battereis at a time.

I just tape the pack on to the board.

Its important to mount the transponder so its horisontal when it passes the lap counter. So with T-Race best place to put the lap counter is in the middel of the top of the T.

In my own setup I get power from the remote receiver, and velcro the transponder to the underside of the board with a cut in the enclosure.

1 Like

I am happy to invest multiple transponders to help get things going. It just needs to be easy to mount and remove from a board. I’ve had good experiences using velcro straps around the deck to hold much heavier things and the good thing is it’s easy to adjust the tightness and there’s no mucking with adhesive stuff. Since the best location for the transponder is straight out to one side, I would likely use the straps across where you have duct tape in the picture and would incorporate flat mounts on either side of the case with slots for the straps to pass through. With longer straps, it’s also easy to mount on top of a mid-located top-mounted battery enclosure too. I already use this approach to mount a bag of tools on top of a top-mounted battery enclosure.

@davidbonde what size lipo are you using?

2 Likes

I got these: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08GCGNFC7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And if you haven’t seen it look here for battery tips: Battery for transponder with Molex connector

3 Likes