Thoughts on Building a Wormhole with ESK8 Components?

Unrelated question.

What is your favorite drug?

3 Likes

foam

whats the mechanism to do this?
having a mechanism transfer the entire Ke of the blue thing onto the pink thing. It would probably break :confused:

capacitor bank powering either electric motors or a rail using the lorentz force.

referencing the land based oberth maneuver spreadsheet calculator I posted here:

Assumptions:

• 400kg passenger section

• 200kg water in a 40kg tank

• 4412.9 meters ramp depth (equivalent to 30 seconds freefall in vacuum)

• 70% kinetic to kinetic regen braking efficiency at the destination

^ With these assumptions, the mechanical impulse needed to push the tank off the passenger section (which brings tank to halt on the track) is 4.61kWh, but the kinetic energy of the passenger section after the impulse is 12.3kWh at the ramp bottom (1052 miles per hour). In other words at the bottom of the ramp the kinetic energy of the passenger section is 2.6 times greater than the electrical/mechanical energy used for the push off. After returning on another ramp to the surface the vehicle still has 7.5kWh, still 1.6 times greater than the electrical/mechanical push. Then factoring recovering 70% of the kinetic energy through regen of the surface 7.5kWh KE, and using some of it to lift the empty trailer, and some to recharge the capacitor bank for the next push, there is still a surplus of 0.15kWh energy from regen above and beyond what was used to push off the trailer meaning more energy is recovered via the regen braking than was used to push the vehicle off the tank at ramp bottom. The excess energy comes from the lowered gravitational potential energy of the water left to evaporate at the bottom of the ramp.

2 Likes

One of my favorite maneuvers to reference, besides reverse cowgirl.

3 Likes

It’s pretty clear I havnt accessed this part of my character tree yet, can I come back when I level up some more?

On a real note, what’s a good ‘introductory’ physics book? I plan on just ripping an epub / PDF so if you have one feel free to share :joy:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/1/1d/USS_Enterprise-D_consumed_by_energy_vortex.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161118162209&path-prefix=en

1 Like

It’s the same idea as a pair of same sized ice skaters going along at 10mph (from going down a hill), one pushes the other from behind, now one is going 20mph, and the other has stopped. The one going 20mph has the kinetic energy they both had going 10mph, plus the energy of the push, I believe.

1 Like

Actual photo of @professor_shartsis at work on this problem.

image https://media3.giphy.com/media/KI2idMd5LFYs0/giphy.gif

2 Likes

3 Likes

i was looking into the drag forces a magnetically levitated vehicle might encounter, this paper is pretty interesting:

https://www.osti.gov/servlets/purl/10145105

^top right chart clearly shows the lift to drag ratio increasing proportionally with increasing velocity, up to 250:1 around 500kmh

a 747 apparently has a lift to drag ratio of around 17, and steel wheels on a train track are about 1000, apparently from rolling resistance

… so if the trend continues, then around 1200mph (2000kph), the null flux magnetic levitation gets the same “rolling resistance” as metal wheels on a metal track…

further info:

^”no power required in the levitated vehicle“

“relative motion is required to achieve levitation”

it seems the air force has been testing a mag lev system that will be able to reach mach 9 which seems applicable to the wormhole:

1 Like

this video from the holloman high speed test track shows that maglev @ 6,599mph is achievable:

hypersonic

1 Like

I was thinking a problem is the water tank coming down the ramp has to be quite long and possibly massive to give the vehicle low enough acceleration for passenger comfort (3g’s or less) when the full tank is pushed at the bottom of the ramp. Since you have to lift the empty tank you want it to be a light as possible to use the least amount of energy lifting.

So to mitigate the problem what if there are 2 tanks set up like an elevator counterbalance, when the vehicle with the full water tank is falling down the ramp, the empty tank is getting lifted back to the top simultaneously, and when the vehicle pushes off the full tank at the bottom, the empty tank is already back at the top ready to be refilled with h2o.

So I’m trying to figure out the best way to “push” the water at the bottom of the ramp so the vehicle can accelerate to a reasonable speed without exposing the passengers to excessive g forces… here’s possibly a better idea than having a “long water tank”

Instead of a long water tank that the passenger section accelerates against at the bottom of the ramp, you have a somewhat more ordinary shaped tank on a long tether which is ahead of the passenger section. When the passenger section and tank-on-a-tether approaches the bottom of the ramp, both traveling ~650mph, the passenger section “pulls” on the tether attaching it to the tank or “reels in” the tank like a fishing pole, causing the tank to decelerate and transfer its kinetic energy to the passenger section.

On a side note, this discussion on physics forums is partially what led me to the idea of the vehicle… the idea that by slowly lowering a mass into a black hole can convert the entire rest mass of the object into energy which can be extracted through the tether…

“In a recent thread we discussed the idea that an object slowly dropped into a black hole, can have its rest mass recovered, as energy, if slowly brought to a halt at the event horizon”

Source:

There’s been some lively wormhole discussion for the last few days over on the SpeakEV forum:

Totally can’t believe I missed that one, I’m slacking on my reading I guess

1 Like

it looks like someone went ahead & wrote a paper about the wormhole:

https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/full/10.1119/1.5126818

image https://aapt.scitation.org/na101/home/literatum/publisher/aip/journals/content/pte/2019/pte.2019.57.issue-7/1.5126818/20190919/images/small/1.5126818.figures.online.f1.gif

it isnt quite as efficient as the passenger vehicle traveling at depth, but…

in the following diagram, the vehicle (in vacuum) accelerates from gravity pulling down the water tank until the tank reaches the flat section at the bottom of the tunnel, at which point the vehicle applies a mechanical impulse to the tether sufficient to stop the tank, which transfers 100% of the mechanical impulse plus the kinetic energy of the tank to the vehicle. afterwards only the empty tank is lifted and the water is placed in direct contact with a geothermal heat source to produce electricity, and a portion of the kinetic energy of the vehicle is captured at the desitination via regen braking.

2 Likes