thought on buying a cnc machine

Thanks dude. Idk if I’m that good, but appreciate it.

I swear if you don’t start running that thing, imma steal it back and give it to @deadpirate

4 Likes

:joy: I swear dude I’ll ship this to @deadpirate if I don’t start running it soon!!! I’ll save you the drive :joy:

2 Likes

So i think the key here is to be realistic about your expectations. Hobby grade CNC can definitely be a useful tool but as others have said, the cheaper you go the harder you will make it for yourself. The key with CNC is rigidity, the more you have the better.

here’s my experience.

I started with a cheap 3020 i brought second hand. i learnt the basics on it but its just not rigid enough to do any real usefull work. wood was ok but aluminium was painfully slow to the point of not being worth it.

I then brought a 1mx1m Workbee. It can can cut aluminium parts fine and its great for making prototype parts but the finish is just not of a quality needed for production parts. also you still need to take it slow, the heatsink shown below was the best part of a day of machining to get to that point. fine for a prototype but not for parts to sell.

I think if i was to do it again knowing what i know know i would try and make things more rigid. going down in width of the gantry makes a huge difference to rigidity. i think half the length is something like 6x less deflection. Additionally using linear rails make a huge improvement as it removes all the slop from the bearings and also added more steel to the axis.

if i was going to build another router style cnc with the goal of getting beter cuts in aluminium then i think i would be aiming towards something like this:

Seems like a good balance between bed size and strength. probably about the best metalwork cnc you could get from a hobby style machine before you start looking at mill conversions.

12 Likes

I like where this is going

4 Likes

Right on. Thanks. Who said this wasnt a great venue for this type of information. This is exactly what I was hoping for.

1 Like

Technically I eluded to it. But I stand by my statement :smiley:

1 Like

Hehe.

1 Like

I’m just saying, I’m pretty sure I got the best answer possible on this topic. When I start to make things with the device I decide on my for sure I’m going to the Reddit. Thanks

Is that a turnkey solution? A kit Or? Or is there a set of plans to purchase?

1 Like

So here is my quick 2 cents worth. @deadpirate. You need to figure out what you really want to do with this machine first and foremost.
I’ve seen this topic come up a few times, and would love to help, and or, save some homies the time and or money from making a mistake they regret.
I’m a tool and die maker, cnc programmer, and machine designer of 27 years. (Ya, I’m oldish). I’m thinking about making a very
detailed post on this subject, if it would be well received.

13 Likes

What I’m going to do with it varies. Each of my boards are unique. I want to add finishing touches on each one. Bumpers, those cute x things and whatever else I can conjure up. But not there are only so many things that go on a build.
Is there a set up that can print it or Mill it in one? I kind got that idea from some of the guys on this thread.
And I’m 56.

this is where i saw it. looks like you can buy the plates from ebay but TBH its basicaly just a small linear rail workbee. With all the “queenbee” (workbee with linear rails) kits coming out soon i expect you to be able to buy something similar off the shelf soon. otherwise many of the queenbee designs are open source so it could be easy to get the plates made and DIY the rest. i expect lazer cutting the plates would be super cheap. most expensive bit will be the linear rails but well worth the money.

looks like ratrig now do this as a kit starting at €799.99 for all the mechanical stuff
https://www.ratrig.com/3d-printing-cnc/cnc-kits/rat-rig-killerbee.html

1 Like

https://www.v1engineering.com/aluminum-guide/
MPCNC or bust.
Guide written by yours truly. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

That looks serious.I get the idea about design now. And making it upgradeable. Thanks again

That’s a nice piece of information. Excellent. And I see the quality you produce.

Used to produce. I don’t machine my own products anymore. No advantage in doing so for the quantity and types of parts I sell.

That said, the MPCNC was an excellent learning opportunity and I did manage to produce at least 120 mounts on it. Not bad for a $500 plastic machine

5 Likes

I guess I knew that. Had to wait for my m1’s. But surely you proto’d on it.

Hey Anshul, do you have any experience with bulkman’s Queenbee pro machine? looks like they used beefy extrusions on that machine only downside I can think of is that it is using 8 mm screws.

1 Like

Mind linking the company?

1 Like

This is their website: iDílna

I’m not sure if they ship internationally. If you need something though, you can send me the files and I add it to my next order.