The New Years Resolution... Solicitation

These are amazing resources, thank you for the link; they’ve gone in my spreadsheet and will be referenced liberally.

Yeah I’m not super current on VESC firmware but even I’ve had some horror stories filter down to me about 5.3; definitely gonna be team 5.2 for a while longer.

I mean it seems like it would be easy to remove with a bit of heat, but I honestly don’t have any basis for this; just something that made sense to me to try. I also have no idea what heating and cooling the connectors repeatedly may do to conductivity or physical integrity long-term, but I can imagine doing it repeatedly could potentially cause some issues.

1 Like

Hi Mr Kyle, I love you :sparkling_heart:. My number one advice is to always triple check your solder connections.
Cold solder points will bite you in the ass, but good flux or rosin core. Another thing, always bring tools and a portable butane solder torch on every ride just incase, had a few moments where a connection got loose and I was stuck. Just always be prepared for your board to break Because at the end of the day, it’s a DIY.

1 Like

Holy shit have you been packing a torch in that backpack you bring on group rides :skull:

All jokes aside, great advice, and I really appreciate the feedback! What tools would you say are absolute must haves? Anything other the obvious hex key/wrench/t-tool sort of setups?

1 Like

I carry around wera hex Allen wrenches(not the best but get the job done), a few socket wrench sizes for my trucks go dial them in, and an Amazon butane torch, (Lexion). Also always bring around a spare tire ready with air if you are running pnematics, even if it isn’t the same as your other hubs, just something with the same bolt pattern. If you want some good Allen keys, wiha is the go to Allen key. But yea the butane torch and solder gun has come in handy one too many times

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

A Lyft is only a few bucks and it seems unlikely you’ll need to solder on the side of the road very often. And also a Lyft is only a few bucks.

Over here a mile away is 15$ lol. Plus you can get stranded in the mountains in San Diego on offroad rides

3 Likes

For the dabs and things.

2 Likes