SYL-08 mods, tips, tricks, advice & experience 🛹

Alright @Athrx let us know when ur more free and we should go for a ride.

2 Likes

I don’t use a bms :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since swapping in my spare ESC it has been running great. I’ve put at least another 30mi on it and it performs as it should. I still have parts on the way, motors, anti-spark, and the DV6. I also bought some new grip tape to recover the board. Next round of shopping I’ll look at some MBS trucks and wheels. No hurry here as my riding is very tame, streets and sidewalk only.

The only adjustment I’ve needed to make is to go easy on the throttle, since I originally specified a configuration for hub motors on this esc the throttle curve is a little “delayed” - it slowly ramps up and pushes harder as speed increases, so it’s a matter of having the right touch to get the acceleration I want. I have the speed output capped at 75% on the remote so I can only go so fast anyhow. I’ve pretty much gotten used to it by now and can easily.I’ve with it until the good stuff arrives.

This was my first board, and I loved it dearly. They are perfect for people who want to get their toes wet without too much of an investment. I guess it was Spring 2019 when I bought mine. It came with a non-functional ESC, and Geekbuying refunded me $100 which I put into a Flipsky dual 4.20. I still have it, and am planning to update the battery, and motor mounts so that my nephew can ride it. I’m almost finished on a 3d printable motor mount for it.

2 Likes

It’s perfect for me as a slow-burn upgrade project as my riding needs are minimal at best. I’ll never need it to perform anything like an actual mtb and I don’t need much in the way speed either, so it keeps me riding, and let’s me diy at my own pace.

1 Like

There’s quite an important design flaw with this board under the trucks, you have these nuts and bolts sticking out at the bottom so when going off-road these are perfect for catching all the twigs, grass,dirt and especially rocks which will hit these bolts and bend them or deattach them.

Has anyone come up with a solution to this?

1 Like

Been slowly remodeling…still waiting on the DV6, tracking has it close, next day or two hopefully. In the meantime the 6354 / 140kv are here and I’ve been playing with the aesthetics (never my strong suit but I like this better than stock).

Stock:

Now:

I thought the “Tesla” Valve stem caps were cheeky:

Internals this week I hope!

5 Likes

Been doing mine the last couple of weeks, although I’m beginning to realise that there is not much left of the original. So far, new deck, new enclosure, new battery, new vesc, new motor mounts. I’ll be replacing the motor next too.

1 Like

Any one got spare truck hanger for on of these I could buy? UK

Hi. May I ask how looks holes pattern on this wheel. Dimension bolt to bolt and hole diameter? Iam now developing my chain gears and Iam thinkig create more universal chain sprocket fits to Trampa,MBS and maybe SYL-08. It depend on dimension.

Fitting any kind of drive system to the SYL-08 as stock is not plausible because the wheels/hubs that come with it have the gear pulley machined as part of the actual hub. As such, you would need to scrap those parts completely (as I did) and get third-party’s hubs (MBS, Trampa, etc) at which point the holes are the measurements for those products.

1 Like

To update this thread…so far I’ve replaced/upgraded the ESC, added an anti-spark, receiver and remote, wheels and tires, and the deck.
All I have remaining is the battery and the trucks (which will need to include a motor mount solution).

The enclosure I am keeping forever…it is awesome.
Solid, tough metal that also acts as a giant heatsink that gets constant airflow.

1 Like

I’ve also replaced the zip ties that were there during the fitment testing phase. It is bolted on proper now.
The flexy deck requires that the nuts are not on too tight, but the EVA foam seals the gap.

Also had to fashion risers with a channel-truck footprint out of rubber. I’ll create a whole build/upgrade thread when it is complete.

My advice would be to skip it, no big loss. The vast majority of folks who buy one of these AND visit this forum are going to be upgrading/replacing almost everything eventually, just as I have. It was great as an upgrade platform, I got to ride the whole time I was working on it. I Still do.

Thank You a lot for Your explanation. I heard lot of about never ending upgrades, but to be honest It was not clear for me that wheels are so difficult to tune. Iam starting my first build of MTB board and waiting now 1month due to covid on MBS pro. I want use custom made chain gears so I was thinking to produce more pieces and universal as is possible. But now Iam see that use SYL pattern make no sence. Thanx again.

It looks realy nice. I will be never belive that it was SYL :blush:

2 Likes

Just wanted to say Hello. I’m also picking up an syl-08 to ride around here in Abu Dhabi. This will be my second esk8.

I had a teamgee h5, and while it’s nice, it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. I think the syl is.

I picked up the V3 version which allegedly fixes a lot of the issues documented here and other places.

We shall see. I enjoy tinkering with everything I own, so starting with something that has a clear progression and upgrade path available sparks my interest.

I’m not looking for a speed demon, just something fun to get me out of the house and active again.

Thank you for all the good info. I ended up at $499 plus free shipping via Ali express.

Seems like it’s a lot of fun!

-Byron

3 Likes