STOBA Bomber 5kW "eBike"

do you think I should weld tabs to the busbars or get ring terminals for all 17 wires?

Whatever is easier for you, doesnā€™t really make a diff šŸ¤·

1 Like

I like this part right here :rofl:

2 Likes

I really want to build one of these, but I have absolutely no confidence in being able to figure out all the compatible parts to make it haha. If someone offered a full hardware kit (minus ESC and battery, but including wheel and motor) I would be ALL over that :metal:

@Scepterr Howā€™s it holding up for you? Done any range testing in the last year? Also, sorry if this was already asked, but can you estimate your final cost?

4 Likes

It seems daunting to start, but the parts are all standard bike parts/sizes.
Itā€™s been rock solid, though underutilized, Iā€™m still waiting on a 24s vesc to really put it to the test.

3 Likes

Half a year later and this bike has landed in my care (without a battery or esc). My plan is to get a 20s7p molicel p42a pack and a little focer esc. Now, I have no money left after buying this thing, so Iā€™m gonna spend a lot of time doing UberEats on my board, but until then, Iā€™m going to plan and dream.

I have big plans for it, and the first of which is to switch over to a more modern system of controlling the accessories. The bike has running lights, high beams, tail lights, turn signals, a horn, and a wireless phone charger/phone holder, all controlled by a bunch of buttons and switches that were a wiring HELL and cluttered up the handlebars.

I dont feel like dealing with that, so Iā€™m gonna switch to something modern thatā€™s gonna cause me to pull my hair out.

First I took pretty much everything out, which involved a bunch of cutting and whatnot which hurt my soul as iā€™m gonna need to figure out how everything goes back together againā€¦

Then I took everything off of the handlebars aaand now they look naked, no surprise. Iā€™m gonna see if I can squeeze a domino throttle into my budget because they look pretty nice and are considered to be high quality.

Another thing I have to work on are the brakes. The rear brake has to be bled and the front brake has to be switched to a Magura MT5e, which requires tools that I donā€™t have (for shortening the line). Thankfully @hoytkid was coerced into agreeing to help, This hasnā€™t happened yet, but it will soon.

Another problem I discovered is that the motor has an MR60 on it, which is fine for its original use, but not nearly enough for the 250 phase amps that the motor is going to have to suffer through. I hope the motor has 10awg coming out, otherwise those phases are gonna get toasty. I will swap them over to 5.5mm bullets anyways and extend them.

The original Metr is going to be swapped out to a robogochi as I hate having to connect my phone to the board every time I want logs, aaaand thatā€™s pretty much it for now in terms of actual things happening to the bike.

Going back to the modern control system, since everything is seemingly relay based, I figured that I would just use an Arduino of sorts, one of these relay boards and a touch screen like this for a more modern and clean control system. The horn, of course, will still be on a physical button that Iā€™d like to integrate nicely as a small momentary switch that sits next to my left hand. Thatā€™s all I really have for now. This project is gonna take quite a while, so buckle up.

5 Likes

Awesome to see this thread getting more love! This build is great, and Iā€™m glad its living on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

nice build , are you still planning to use a vesc in the future? why not using a kelly or a Sabvoton controller?

btw please change the zoom fork for something better if you donā€™t want to kill you self at high speed

closed source shit throttle response with no path for accessories.

yeah im not going over 50km/h rn, but ill get a dnm volcano

vesc its fun but soon you would like to have more power and less heating problem , prepare to use huge heat sink and fan ventilation if you want your vesc survive a little bit :rofl: :rofl:

interresting, where did you get them? how many volts theses can take ?