Split truck angles, wtf are they? and why should I care? and other stuff about trucks

Shouldn’t this thread be a wiki?

2 Likes

I meant with a hole to push the pivot cup from, the other stuff makes sense too

2 Likes

I’m looking for a fabled 23 degree baseplate that seems to keep slipping from reality… I guess it doesn’t exist anymore! Will it ever make a comeback?

1 Like

Hey there, noop here … I would like to add a question here, …

Would I more likely get speed wobbles now that I’m switching from a board with reversed kingpings to a board with channel trucks?

1 Like

Not simply because of the truck type, no. The angles they’re respectively set at, the bushing types and your riding style are the main factors.

4 Likes

i read in the old forum that channel trucks are inherently less stable at speed, but take that with a grain of salt

what you want is the rear truck to be more restricted than the front truck, because thats the main cause of wobbles

angles and bushing duro are your tools

1 Like

Thanks … my board came standard with two angled risers, in my opinion to make tighter turns, so my conclusion would be to ditch the angled riser on my back truck, so my front is makes tighter turns and my back is more stable … RIGHT GUYS!!!

1 Like

this is the landyachtz evo as an example, the left facing side being the front, the more you approach these angles, the more front steering (and stable because of that) your board will be

angles

you can try to mimic this with your risers and see how it feels

edit: but if your channel trucks are more like tkp, you might dont want an excessive angle in the front - but im no channel truck guy, maybe someone else can chime in on this, @RipTideSports maybe? hes much better at giving advice in this field

edit: @Robert-Jan i put the sideview for a regular board here aswell, left side is the front again (its basicly what the evo achieves)

if your nose is allready angled, one approach is to reduce some of the rear angle with a riser like its shown in that picture, and additionally if available you could try stiffer springs in the rear aswell

1 Like

Thanks … I think I’ll try to

1. ride it at first with the two original wedged risers …
  2. than try without the rear wedged riser
  3. and at last try with a wedged riser in the back, but dewedging.
1 Like

I have a board setup with rkp Surfrodz and a board setup with matrix 2 channel trucks.

They both top out at 35 mph for now and both experienced some speed wobbles before I dialed in my bushings and ride style.

I whole heartedly believe the association with channel trucks being less stable at speed is due to the increased center of gravity and more usage of the body to turn.

I’ll see if this holds true in the 40s soon

2 Likes

Did you wedge your matrix 2s? I am thinking about an 8.5° degree wedge in the front with soft yellow bushings and an 8.5° dewedge in the rear with hard red bushings. I’ll probably futz around with it quite a bit if it doesn’t feel right… I’m just curious if anyone has already messed around and found a good starting point for setting angles on channel trucks, since up to this point I have exclusively ridden RKP and TKP. If it’s the same thing, this is about what I would do, that or just de-wedge the rear. I’d still like to do off road, be as manuverable, but I want to know I can be stable up to about 40mph… :open_mouth: total channel truck noob gonna have to figure it out… thoughts anyone hmm…

2 Likes

I’m 155 lbs to start off with so of course everyone varies.

• Yellow, orange, red shock block duros vary a lot. It’s not tiny steps in my opinion.
  • the grub screw in the bottom of the hanger allows you to pre load the shock blocks further to fine tune
  • angles typically run are between 25 and 35°

What I’m getting at is there are a lot of ways to fine tune channel trucks. I haven’t personally wedged or dewedged away from 30°

I hated the turning radius at 20° but that was a different truck to be faiiiiiir (ats12).

I’ve gotten up to 38mph on yellow front and orange rear. The thing carves nasty too. It will turn as much as your body can physically lean and return under you super smoothly. I love urethane blocks over springs for this smooth return specifically.

Disclaimer: the springs weren’t set up by me so that could be a part of it. It was several spring trucks though…

My next board is using matrix 2s and will be in the mid 40s of speed so I will soon find out if grub screw tightening on the yellows is enough or if I’ll end up. Moving to orange orange or orange red. If none of these make me happy, wedging will be the next option to try.

1 Like

Imo is a combination of rider skill, deck shape/width, wheelbase and of course using correct blocks for your body weight

I have 2 boards that run on matrix 2 trucks

Colab I run yellow blocks “soft” all around and still feels a little stiff for a carver
It takes a little more effort to toss around

Lacroix prototipo is setup with yellow front orange back yet it feels softer than colab. Much easier to carve yet stable
I’ve taken my Lacroix up to 41mph no problem

The difference between both boards is

Lacroix has shorter wheel base and wider flat deck where colab is longer, a tad narrower and has a mild arch

Oh yeah. 165lbs rider No wedges on any of them

4 Likes

Hey so what if I wanted to run split angles on some Trampa trucks and 7" 'numies? 40-45mph top speed.

What angles do you recommend ?

Curious to see narrow slalom e-sk8s. Like a loaded race kit on a 120-140mm hanger with split angles. Anyone have inspo for me? I have a set of DT-Slalocybins but the hub motors don’t fit the hanger.

1 Like