Split PWM ("PPM") settings

Prosly? You created and argument that was not needed, as leading member of the community and a mod i do expect a little better trying defuse situations instead of escalating them for no reason.

That is the one and only reason I commented the situation did not need to escalate and it serves to confuse new users more than simply providing the facts.

Again we have very different interpretation of what trampa was trying to communicate, whether that’s because of my “fanboy” bias or your bias, well at this point I’m to invested to say. But everyone has bias.

What was your intention behind this block of text then because I’m trying to see something else in there but the intention I got from your words was. “Fuck off do some research and you’ll see i’m right look at everything i’ve done for the community”

And i did not try to offend in my first post all I see is a bunch of ineffective communication (in this thread and others). While I’m probably wrong about why you guys can’t seem to communicate effectively, you do have troubles understanding each others positions for whatever reason.

Yes we are unimportant to the Topic at hand why did you say

(you’re not unreasonable nor was i trying to paint you that way i apologize for that, and i still do fail to see how having bias turns you into and unreasonable person, we are all biased after all.) Idk if its appropriate to be insulted being called biased by strangers… thats just me tho.

WOW way to try and rewrite history. I commented say hey look these things your talking about is exactly what they did then you moved the goal posts to

Which is not at all how I perceived what frank was saying. Anyone who does in my mind is pushing their own agenda.

I mean i haven’t publicly assumed anything, you have and I’ve kept any assumptions i’ve had to myself. Does somebody making sweeping assumptions about other people change how i view them, Yes. But I don’t start assuming all sorts of stuff to try to prove my point.

Does it not change your perspective of people when they assume a bunch of stuff about you?

I never accused you of any such thing. I suggested that you might be biased which impacts effective communication with frank, and i believe both parties are biased, If you don’t believe me ill dig around for a bit and dig up a bunch of threads but there is definitely a communication issue between you 2 and it has a tendency to derail threads.

NOW back to the actual issue at hand!

I agree Trampa should have replaced “will” with “can” as that is the more appropriate phrasing.

The way i read the aggravating statement was hey ground looping could be an issue depending on the ESC your using. But Yes more clarification was needed (like what ESC’s have this or have had this issue etc). It didn’t even cross my mind that you’d actually have an issue with any well respected VESC clones out there,

Again I’m just curious at what your intention was with these sentences.

And specifically that one, what where they meant to accomplish? And what was your intention when sharing those sentences?

What was my intention behind these posts? And lol my feelings don’t get hurt on the internet, I’d suggest you try it out sometime. (Man doesn’t it suck when people use passive aggressive digs like that against you?)

If you want to further this discussion i’d say we should either move it to discord or PM as it REALLY derailed this thread now which is supposed to have Split PPM setting in it.

I’m off to a family gathering, I’ll respond later.

Happy father’s day!

1 Like

Happy father’s day to you as well.

1 Like

Nah, you can simply cut the +5V to one of the receivers on a Split PWM setup. One pump isn’t even connected. It’s so simple.

However, I still prefer dual receivers and no connections between ESCs except the battery. And this is before anyone has seen the dual-battery builds of the future.

1 Like

While I am in no way up to your exalted standards in terms of quantity of builds I have built 7 now for me and others in my local community. All run split ppm with the gnd and 5v snipped on one side across 3 different types of 4.12 vesc variants. My first foray into can resulted in fried chips. Having used split ppm in rc for years I reverted back to what I knew was reliable especially when building for complete noobs. My personal boards have been fine with no issues. Right or wrong and without a degree in EE all I can go on is what works for me on a practical day to day basis and doesn’t have angry guys wondering why their expensive board now needs a new vesc. They all know where I live. This is just how I do things right or wrong and only serves as an example nothing more.

4 Likes

I don’t think my builds are any better than yours, I’m just prolific. I mostly use CAN because I like traction control. Sometimes I don’t because I want a more natural longboard ride, like in my hummies.

That’s what I was trying to explain. I think you did it now eloquently than I. Thanks for that.

2 Likes

Jesus i just read this whole thread… seems like @mmaner can’t post anything about esc/vesc information without it getting dragged through the mud and turned into a ridiculous nitpicking debate. That’s weird to me seeing he helped me massively when setting up my first build and understanding why and what i was doing.

3 Likes

I appreciate it. Some people are passionate, vregardless of logic.

1 Like

I just don’t get how this even turned into an argument.
There’s tons of evidence to support the advantages of both setups. ( and disadvantages)
Unfortunately it’s all on the other site.
They’re both viable options for different reasons.
But now all the information we have on this site is very confusing for new users because it’s almost all just people arguing over the smallest of details and pushing personal opinions /preferences.

1 Like

True dat. I keep trying to figure it out, just can’t. Facts are facts, for some they are less important than ‘belief’.

2 Likes

Would there be any functional difference in using a servo splitter like this and a Y-Cable, with regard to the potential PPM groundlooping? I’ve used this PPM servo splitter on a quad, before. No issues with my 4.12 Ollin Vescs.

img_0016

However, I’m about to set up a 4WD with two ESCape HW6.4 in the back and the 2 Ollin 4.12 up front. I guess I’m a little worried about the HW6.4. Should I consider clipping some 5v pins out of this servo splitter?

4 Likes

I would only feed a single 5v lead into the splitter, preferably from the master VESC.

2 Likes

I personally would clip them; yes.

However I recommend dual receivers over split PWM.

2 Likes

Canbus vs Split PWM vs Dual Receivers write-up, perhaps?

7 Likes

so where are we at with this whole thing? and can we get a diagram of what the split ppm cable should look like? i have a problem with the can on one on my escs and i am wanting to try split ppm