Spintend ubox single on fire

This is also what I think we’re seeing: agree. :+1:

But my question is, what do you think this is?

That’s the negative bus bar, so the positive wire bouncing around after becoming desoldered probably hit it and arced. Also explains the weird looking solder on the wire.

2 Likes

I wonder how it was mounted then that the wire would push into the ESC after desoldering.

1 Like

Sounds like there may be no conformal coating on the PCBs.

Heyo so apologies for the 10 minutes, I made a couple of attempts and they were all similar length. This was last night and the only insight I’ve had since then is that thermal resistance would probably be better described as reactive impedance; ie resists current but doesn’t generate heat loss

You can see how it was mounted in the first post.

1 Like

I think we can both agree that heat comes from power.

We should also both agree that power is the product of voltage and current and thus, increasing either variable while keeping the rest of the factors the same increases the net power going in to a system. Power being the rate energy is moved, more power = more heat transfer potential.

I agree, so a larger temperature difference would be analogous to a larger voltage difference.

At the end of the day, I’m sure with enough time, it would get hot regardless.

1 Like

An update is due. These kinds of threads often fizzle out without any real conclusion but I think I might have stumbled upon the reason.

I did the motor setup with another esc, but could not get the hall sensor values. Seems probable to me that the senors went first and that the ubox went after when trying to compensate for the strange values.

Perhaps all the shorts and loose solder is (like previously mentioned) an after effect

3 Likes

I currently run a Spintend Single unsensored on a kicktail commuter board. Do I face similar risks?

I have not done any modifications to the cables or hardware. Should I insulate the positive lead inside the case to prevent a short?

It wouldnt hurt

have u compared it to other vesc/fm boards? also what battery did you run? ngl i might interested in buying the carcass if you dont want it