SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

seems like P42A

Personally, I’d be surprised if they used cells that expensive in this board. Is that kind of performance even needed here?

1 Like

definitely not needed, most esk8 brands using these cells nowadays are using them because of the positive feelings towards the molicel brand. For example, who here actually thinks the meepo hurricane, a lingyi board, needs 160A of continuous discharge :eyes:

544Wh does check out to be a 12s4p p42a pack

I get different numbers…12S3P of 4200mAh cells.

The P42A is 4000mAh though but perhaps they made the common mistake of thinking it was 4200mAh. Blindingly silly for a manufacturer to do that if true. The frakkin’ datasheet is easy to find and read.

Or, they’re using someone else’s 4200mAh cell.

2 Likes

i am personally aware that p42a are 4000mAh, strictly speaking, most of the A grade cells are between 4030mAh and 4080mAh. However, they market it as a 4.2Ah cell, which invites a lot of other brands to do the same.

Molicel isn’t the only ones doing this as well, we got the 30Q, the 50E and the LG50MT as well.

1 Like

True…very silly of them.
So maybe a 3P pack of P42A (or other roughly 4200mAh cell).

1 Like

That’s me talking to Kevin. These are the batteries I built tonight. And that’s the speedboard the original prototype… I don’t have time to bullshit that’s 10 hours of work at home after a full days work.

1 Like

How did you make 17 batteries in only 10 hours?

1 Like

They were already glued and wrapped with fish paper. And the nickle and copper i precut the day before. After making a few hundred you get fairly efficient. That being said the packs are a Pain in the ass to make.

3 Likes

Since there is no caster boards general thread yet this is it by default.

6 Likes

11 Likes

I got to try it. Was dope

18 Likes

What am I looking at an actual speedboard? Is it back from the dead or is this a different thing?

3 Likes

So there’s hope? :open_mouth:

1 Like

So, I was chilling at the hoyt booth, pretending to be a real hoyt ambassador as many do (I had a vendor badge on, so I felt really important), and one of the people demoing the Hoyt Tabor mentioned speedboard was gonna show up. I said “No way, I’m pretty sure they went under man”

not 5 minutes later I saw two of these speeding around the venue

HOPEfully :wink:
this thing is actually really cool
16s?p with a flipsky 75200 esc

4 Likes

Yeah it looks pretty fun.
I mean I’m glad I didn’t back it because I’d be pretty annoyed to know you’re trying it when I’m still rolling around on four wheels like a doofus in 2023.
…but when it finally ships I won’t mind paying 50% more than kickstarter backers to have one.

1 Like

Looks really cool. I stumbled on the kickstarter a couple years ago and was simultaneously disappointed that I missed it, relieved that I didn’t send money, and sad that it seemed to have stalled out… but now I’m just stoked to see it moving forward.

6 Likes

How would you describe the ride?

Unique. Low speed felt awful but it quickly got better.
I liked it.

1 Like

I’m pretty glad that they’re up and running! I’m most curious about how their steering mechanism doesn’t seem to have been changed very much from the first prototype, I would have assumed that was one of the roadblocks that were hitting. Are you able to say how it felt under load? Like, butter smooth or with a bit of stiction?