SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

Really like the idea and the realization. One big Motor, one single esc, much space for power on a chain. Awesome!
It cant get any better! And there is still much more room for some more experiments with this construction! :heart::heart::heart:

3 Likes

I was just looking around if someone managed to build one DIY and i found several projects from different people going back to 2016.

Are they all related to the Kickstarter or did speedboard not really invent this thing?

12 Likes

Haha these looks so much nicer then my current drawings :sweat_smile:

Gave me some inspiration tho! thanks!

1 Like

I don’t think speedboard claim to invent this design, they are just making it avalable to the masses.
Additionally they have added new design elements to the steering geometry which are not present on these earlier examples.

6 Likes

What I’d like to see, swing arm type suspension and bindings, then let’s take these things to the motox course.

4 Likes

Seems not too hard to diy as well

8 Likes

I think there needs to be some guard between the spring and foot.

2 Likes

@speedboard, any chance you’d sell just the front steering mechanism? Small, easy to ship…
I can build the rest. Ive found the rims, tires, gear.
I already have motors, esc, battery, remote.
Come on man!!!

7 Likes

Discobot will design you front end. Testing underway

7 Likes

@speedboard you said ask you anything, can you help us folks that want to build a DIY about some of your front end angles? Are both of these angles 0°? If not can you shed some light on this? I watched the other videos and the guy Is taking about a 15° leading angle. Yours looks like there may be some angle built into the steering arm mount? (The spring perch looks higher than the wheel attachment) is this just photo angle or what’s going on?

Also any chance you can tell me how far apart your steering arm attachment points are? Im planning a build, but without the spring.

1 Like

How will it center then at “low” speed?

1 Like

easy, go “high” speed only :wink:

5 Likes

Honestly I’m not worried about you building one, but I will not be releasing any details about the front steering mechanism until the Kickstarter boards are shipped. I would not be surprised if a company in another country is already trying to rip me off.

You can ask anything. I didn’t say I’d answer everything :zipper_mouth_face:

17 Likes

I think that is fair. You spent a lot of time and energy on this. You should definitely feel within your rights to only disclose information that you are comfortable sharing :ok_hand:

9 Likes

But seriously, feel free to ask anything. I don’t think I’d have considered making & selling a rolling chassis if people didn’t ask for one.

Practically speaking, my primary concern with just selling the steering mechanism is trusting people to install it correctly. There’s a large cantilever load on the arms, which I tie into bomber aluminum frame rails. I certainly don’t have any moral objection to letting people build their own speedboard using my steering mechanism.

8 Likes

Are you doing the rolling chassis?

5 Likes

I’d say I’m 50/50 on the rolling chassis. I guess my main hold-up is not understanding what other people would install. If the production board ends up with a 80100 motor running 148A, with an upgrade option for 20700 cells to output 6 kW, what else would anyone want? It will almost certainly be cheaper to have me buy and install the components.

9 Likes

Creative freedom man…I think that is what we here are all about

9 Likes

Of course. The next issue is that the whole frame is shrink-wrapped around the batteries, VESC & motor. It’s not just a big voluminous chamber that you can stuff various items in. But I do understand the desire to build & personalize. Shit, I built an entire company just so I could do that.

7 Likes

I would love the purchase this board and put my own battery, vesc and motor on it. I love the concept

3 Likes