SPEEDBOARD - $23k on Kickstarter in one day

Hehe… Yeah, probably… Bound up with build atm but that seems like a very very nice idea…

1 Like

thats cool

Weird choice and questionable construction…

something a little premium would be nice…

I feel like a lot of your development and production plan is focused on prototyping and experimenting with suppliers.

Wouldn’t make sense to have a kickstarter for a semi-finished product with a solid selection of factories to make your product?

1 Like

some simple stretch goals:

• foot straps
  • all-terrain knobby tires
  • set of different sprockets to gear for hill-climbing or speed

more complicated:

• even bigger tires
  • front wheel disc brake controlled by same remote in tandem with rear tire
7 Likes

Thank you for the clarifications! I would love to see one IRL to understand the dynamics better.

TBH, a starting price tag of 1000-1500. And even then I would want to mod it, but then it is a more reasonable starting point.

But I think the DIY crowd might not be the ideal target customer for complete decks. I would target the motorcycle crowd, particularly with the upgraded version. if you can come up with something that is reliable and can go 50mph you might get people to sell their bikes. But that needs some serious safety upgrades and redundancy (like backup brakes if drivetrain/electronics break).

2 Likes

High end remote

2 Likes

+1
I think your target market for completes would love to see a remote with a slick digital display, and/or a display mounted on the board, like a DaveGA

I’m stoked to see your innovative product so well recieved by this bunch of scallywags

8 Likes

I don’t think you will have issues hitting high erpm values using v4+ HW, its about how smooth of a sinusoidal curve your motor phases get at higher speeds, directly dependent on the current sampling of the shunts.

1 Like

how do you avoid wheelbite while heavy turns?

And what holds the axial load inside the bar linkages?

5 Likes

@b264 @yelnats8j
So disappointed none of you did it
for
tenor

3 Likes

Looks awesome! And not too hard to DIY I guess.

Suspension??

Too expensive for me to buy, but the price is on point, would be down for Chase tho…

1 Like

I’m impressed great job!
You’ve managed to reduce rolling resistance without using hard wheels
that’s impressive.

now Electric skateboards (if we’re calling it that) really seem superior to scooters in almost all aspects.

1 Like

+1 on this

3 Likes

It’s likely because there isn’t enough force to turn the wheel hard enough during normal usage. You are leaning and the spring is doing it’s job keeping the wheel where it needs to be

5 Likes

Yeah I’ve been looking at the DaveGA, would love to integrate that for the odometer function alone. Would be really easy to mount it in a window in the polycarbonate deck.

I plan on having upgrade remote options, the problem with having one standard is everyone prefers different remotes. Hoyt just sent me a puck, I’ll test that out in a few days.

10 Likes

Honestly looking at how Kickstarter is progressing now, if I’d lined up suppliers for high-volume production it would have been a complete waste of time. The product is already 95% developed, it just needs one further design revision to be ready for production.

The purpose of Kickstarter for me is to accurately judge the size of the market so I can tailor the product to fit that market size. It’s impossible to judge how many people are going to actually buy a product. So many companies go under by overestimating the market size.

5 Likes

We are planning on developing foot straps. We have a knobby tire option as well, and different sprocket options, these would be easy to show on Kickstarter, great idea.

Significantly larger tires will require a different scale for the steering arms, but that’ll happen in the future. Ultimately I want a speedboard I can rip around on sand dunes with. That’s definitely even more niche than this version.

I’m going to develop a race speedboard, aiming for 9 kW continuous, 15 kW peak, with a disk brake on the front wheel, so you nailed it. Obviously this’ll be a more expensive limited model initially, and an R&D project to electronically integrate the front brake.

7 Likes

There will be adjustable stops on the production board, I just didn’t bother with the prototype. The tire only rubs at extremely low speed, full-lock turns (obviously), but it is something to prevent in production.

The arms pivot on high-load dry-lubricated bushings. The pins are 18-8 stainless steel shoulder bolts, with a shear strength that could hold an elephant.

1 Like