Someone ordered some custom gears from Stefan? 😎

My understanding is that helical gears are stronger than straight cut gears. Race cars use straight cut gears because they don’t generate an axial load. If your gears generate an axial load then you need a gearbox that is designed to handle the extra load. Since race cars generate tons of torque, this would mean a lot of axial load and therefore a lot heavier gearbox. Obviously they want to make the cars as light as possible, therefore spur gears.

5 Likes

yeh helical stronger than spur. That based on my understanding. but in race applications you change the gears faster than they wear out so who cares.

3 Likes

yes learned something again :muscle::grinning:

2 Likes

but spur is plenty for esk8, hleical is more sound nad I guess smoother riding. For the rest it will increase price and complicate things. That being said I ma usign herringbone whihc is double side helical so double problems in machining, I guess I talk for frustation :joy:

5 Likes

Thanks! you can also tell me the supplier site, im interested to see what they got.

take a look at https://www.maedler.de/ they have a bunch of different stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes