Silent build in progress... Hub motors on Matrixx trucks custom hanger for street riding

I already have a diy mountain board with MBS matrix 2 trucks and Boardnamics M1 gear drive. I love everything on this board except the sound it makes when riding. I know I am very sensible to sound and that most people love the sound of their board but I dont.

Since I am riding on the streets 80% of the time. I am thinking about building a very silent board for street riding. I want the same feel as my mountain board but very silent. I will keep the other board for offroad riding in the forest.

The perfect build would be to be able to use air tires with hub motors on nice trucks like the MBS matrixx but I cant find a way to do it… I like to ride on the streets with bindings on my current build.

I have a friend that as an aluminium milling machine and we could do custom hangers to fit hub motors on. That sounds like a nice project to me. Also have access to 3d printer for prototyping.

Since I cant find any powerful enough hub motor that would fit air tires, the current idea is to use Backfire ranger hubs on a custom hanger made for MBS matrixx 2 or 3 truck.

What do you think about all this? Anypowerful enough hub motors with air tires (8 inches or less tires)?

Im still searching how to fit axles on machined aluminium trucks. Very new to all of this. Backfire hubs need a 9.5mm axle (preferably titanium but might not be needed since its for street riding and no jumps, no high speed) compared to standard MBS Matrixx 12mm axles. I have seen hub motors that have no axle at all!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Have a nice day!

just wear airpods bro

It depends on what you consider an axle to be and if they have to be part of the hanger or part of the hub motor itself. This is the design that my non branded hub motors use and I’ve had 0 issues with it despite way too much use on them. Only “problem” so far is that it can be difficult to get those bolts loose sometimes when needing to remove the motor from the hanger.

I can’t be bothered to clean my board right now but some of that is dirt/grime and some is just chips in the aluminum from rocks and other debris hitting it.

The little rod section/ “axle” is likely just steel and it isn’t even completely solid. It has a hole in it that the wires go through.

The backfire hubs you linked use a different method to attach to the hanger but I’m leaving that because I already typed it all. The way they decideded to make their hanger is super weird though:

Looks like they had to add that square peg into the motors to keep it in place so that the phase wires don’t get wrapped around the hanger. So you’ll need to add that onto your design probably.

As for a normal hanger, Board dynamics machines a hole into their hangers that is threaded and then the axles are a threaded rod with a hex bit hole at the wheel end so you can tighten them in properly. You’re meant to use loctite to help ensure they stay in as well.

The other hangers I have look like they are made by pouring aluminium into a mold and placing the axles into it. That is just my guess though since they usually machine off any seams from using a two part mold, and the only place they are still visible is in the bushing hole.

I have no idea if those would have enough power for what you want. I’d use the x3 specs as a baseline to see if they’re good enough for what you want. You might be able to get more power out of them if you use a VESC but you know they’ll at least come close to the top speed of the x3.

I’ve actually had my eye on this combo for a while, and it seems like it would suit your build plans:

These are geared internally, so they’ll make more noise but have more power:
http://a.aliexpress.com/_mLoD9Pg

And these are direct drive hub motors, so will be quieter but less torque:
http://a.aliexpress.com/_mrmmpPY

And they combo with this hanger:
http://a.aliexpress.com/_mPXZny2

bro those phase wires thinner than a spaghetti :face_holding_back_tears:

Thank you very much for you reply @ApproachCautiously ! You are right, the axle is inside the hub. Can you please tell what hub motors you are using?

Thank you for your reply @tech.shit ! In ternally geared is too loud. The other two hub motors are sold with 9 inches and 10 inches tires.That is too big for me for street riding. Do you know if a smaller tire could be put on the 9 inches one? http://a.aliexpress.com/_mrmmpPY

I haven’t got one and haven’t seen anyone have one, but if it’s anything like the hubs is we have on small 3-wheel scooters it can probably take an 8" or even 6"

If those hubs with 9 inches tires could take 8inches roadie tires it would be a great option! I message Tranzite boards to ask them.

1 Like

No brand china made hub motors made before or during 2020. They’re the well designed version though as there are other cheap motors with a different overall design which are trash IMO

Can’t even give you their specs aside from the physical size of them since i don’t have it and the company who made my OG pre-made doesn’t even archive the specs and details of their older models :weary:

@ApproachCautiously so you do not have a link for them? Is it air tires?

No one makes any tires for them and afaik you can’t buy them anymore. They might still exist on a site like aliexpress but with no specs it would be impossible to find. I cant’ even buy new thane sleeves for them :sob:

I mostly added a photo of my hub motors to show one of the ways they can connect to a hanger since they’ve been used a ton and the hanger hasn’t failed on me.

1 Like

Ok thank you!

it’s totally up to you, but in the years I’ve seen a few people that found the hard way that this is dangerous, when you are surrounded by cars the ability to bail out can save your life

i have to respectfully disagree,bindings have saved my life or at least sever injury. Granted im using spring clamp bindings. One day i am sure they will hurt me but 3 times i have come around a corner HOT to see a car decided a U turn on. a blind turn was a good idea,bindings enable panic stops and before my board was too heavy the ability to bunny hop obsticals.

I also have “lost traction and had the back try to pass the front” Bindings provide leverage to rectify this,granted i ride like my ass is on fire and im seeking water,but i think like most things there are pluses and cons,when i first decided to go with Tomiboi bindings, id get a test board with out them for a while and question my binding choice, but im 2 years in,so far bindings have been a big positive.ILOVE the added leveage i get on my board for tight turns.

Granted i havent had to bail, but i THINK i can get out if i need to,but i also never cross the double yellow,i treat it like a cliff,if i go over,then im “out of control” and need to chill out

Im sure Plurf has real world experienc to the contrary,and means well,as do I

1 Like

So,im just trying to help,and i do not build boards,so forgive the stupid shit im about to sugest,even dumbasses have good ideas. Scooter hub wheels are available,and quiet,either adapt one to trucks or(stupid idea incoming,) consider a 1 wheel rear drive build. I have no idea how this will ride,but it opens up options. A more savy member may shoot this down. TheRanger solid wheel are going to be a big compramise,IMHO. Good luck,keep us posted

A few folks have used those hubs on esk8.

@Martin has a pretty sick 4wd offroad hub build.

Thanks for tour good après. I stay on residential streets. Very few cars.

Thanks you! You are right, the ranger Solid tire is a big compromise…

Thanks for your reply. This awesome build! But i want the tires 8 inches or less.