Show Me Your Heat-Sink'd Enclosures

Love how nicely that lined up

6 Likes

(time to pop that cherry. First post :sunglasses:) thanks for getting this rolling @Venom121212

What’s the general rule of thumb for when to add a heat sink?

I’ve been riding without one for a while but it hasn’t been too hot out and I haven’t pushed any boundaries yet. 12s5p p42a mtb.

5 Likes

Welcome!

VESC tool’s mosfer cutoff start temp is 85°C and hard cutoff with a fault thrown is at 100°C by default.

Personally, I don’t like a hard fault being thrown so I raise that one up to a temp I’ll never hit. Cutoff start temp I abuse and let the esc get too hot so I won’t share my number just yet :grimacing:

2 Likes

If you start thermal throttling you know it’s time for a heatsink

If you have telemetry it’s easy to see, but for me, it was blatant throttling on my GoFoc retro lol

The power cuts way down

1 Like

Small and simple but it does help a little. Planning on something larger in the future :ok_hand:

8 Likes

3d printed top plate made for dual ESCape heatsink
yes i broke my METR antenna :pleading_face:

7 Likes

27 Likes

Recently did a repair on a heatsinked enclosure I bought second hand:

Still need to hit it with some paint!

14 Likes

12 Likes

Man I remember seeing this one and loving it. Falling in love all over again :heart:

7 Likes

Thanks! I’m quite proud of it,

maybe someday i’ll buy a new unity and i’ll trim down the extra antispark’s cm,
that would look a lot slimer on the board

4 Likes

Can you share the STL for that?

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll try and remember to stick it on thingiverse this evening.

3 Likes

Thanks! Your fix is :ok_hand:

3 Likes

26 Likes

Nothing new just putting myself on the list

13 Likes

20 Likes

How are you (and the others) sealing around the fins on the heatsink?

1 Like

My heat sink has a big lip that the screws screw into, I just slap some black rtv silicone on the enclosure and a little on the heat sink. Once it is in place, I’ll run a bead around the edge and smooth it with my finger.

5 Likes

Sorry I spaced on this! Here it is: Heatsink Cover Plate by MauveMaverick - Thingiverse

1 Like