[Serious] How To Solder | Soldering Guide | The Complete Tutorial From A>Z

They work quite well. I think even the cheapest ones are okay.

1 Like

i’ve used these extensively for “field” installation and repair… for in the shop, original construction, I personally prefer traditional solder and heatshrink.

2 Likes

Dammit… gonna need to outsource all my soldering work :man_facepalming:

Edit: can I still build batteries?

4 Likes

Elephant is you the stick is the battery :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: nailed it

2 Likes

With @nske permission, here is a list of things a beginner *may do

*will absolutley do but i don’t want to discourage you :ghost:

Please try and avoid doing the below :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Also

You are never alone, just give a shout out :innocent: :love_you_gesture:

5 Likes

Pro tips:
-remember to unscrew your fire alarm from your dorm room before you start (whoops)

-if you fuck up and make a big solder ball, you can always use electrical tape instead of the heatshrink you had on that wire

-lead based solder smells better

4 Likes

Just unsolder it, heat it up again and grab it with pliers and shake it a bit. Then something wonderful will happen.

3 Likes

I tried a single time with my ts100, then went out in search of a soldering station.

1 Like

I can do 5.5mm with my ts100 with the chunky end but I have a 150 watt gun that makes short work of connector soldering just make sure you use a heat sink block the only useful thing I ever learn from Pavels videos.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Only useful video, not the 3000 videos he did on the trampa wand. No one cares for your $300 remote,you estonian hipster /rant> sorry bill
4 Likes

DO NOT wire wool your tip or use a stanly blade to clean you tips. this will destroy the coating on your tip

use copper cleaning pads and a wet sponge

DO NOT cut the insulation all the way thro you will damage the inner corse making a weak spot

you want to cut it 95% of the way thro and then brake the last part

DO NOT use a wire brush same reason you don’t use wire wool

only use flu suitable for electrical connections other flux has abrasive chemicals that will decrease the quality of your connection over time

Tin your soldering iron before and after every use

only got 1/2 way thro and I can’t watch any more he has the correct tools on the table and not using them

7 Likes

+1

That video is wrong in so many ways :flushed: :flushed:

4 Likes

I was like, everyone uses different connectors, and every board seems to need custom everything, but…

There’s one magic trick I cannot master, and that is soldering 10awg into 3.5mm bullets or xt60/mr60. Maybe presoldered mr60 wouln’t be bad… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Done. :laughing:

1 Like

Have you tried cutting a side out of the connector?

2 Likes

You know, “master” as in perfect every time with comfort, vs my skill level with this, which is cursing and redoing many times but gething some abominable thing in the end half the time. :slight_smile:

Aren’t all xt60/mr60 half cut out already? But one side has a tunnel that makes things difficult?

2 Likes

I meant the full gauge wire onto a XT60. :rofl:

1 Like

Simple the cable is too big AWG 10 is the largest size I can get in to a XT90 constantly first time. AWG8 I can get in but it’s has no tolerance if the ends flare out the tiniest amount.

XT90 is spec for up to AWG10

MR60 3.5mm is spec for AWG12

1 Like