"Seamless" LiPo charging

I’m gonna try it and let you know! Either we’re both insane or great minds think alike, lets see.

1 Like

Don’t use a dual balance charger on a pack that is connected in series unless you WANT a sparkle show. I learned the hard way (duh)

1 Like

I disconnect the series connection when charging.

2 Likes

Loop key position?

Negative side before ESC. I’ve gone through enough charge cycles to know I must be doing something right lol

So how are you going to split the series connection before you charge, when it’s all wired up in your enclosure?

1 Like

Well that’s what I came here for :joy:

I don’t do anything with these batteries until I get a bunch of feedback and general knowledge.

1 Like

Move Loop key to mid pack between the 6s packs? Is that an option? :thinking:

1 Like

This is what I did. I am wanting to make a thread with all what I’ve learned so far charging like this, just haven’t had too much time after my newborn son…

7 Likes

This is critically important and a bit too easy to mess up. If you don’t disconnect the series, boom!

I’ve seen setups where there’s a mechanical lockout so you can’t plug in the charge port if th:series loop bey is still in place.

2 Likes

Please do. Be keen for explanation / link to the bits in that setup - looks pretty robust

3 Likes

Do you have a wiring diagram of this?

Maybe on a napkin somewhere, heh.
That one is basically two 5s packs joined by that big ol marine breaker switch. The 7 pin connector leaves one pin unused, as a 5s pack uses 6 connections (-all, +1, +2, +3, +4, +5). The charge and balance leads all run from those pins (for better or worse, lol).

The biggest advantage was having more space for batteries. I managed to squeeze in an extra P group in that enclosure. Charging is slightly less convenient, and I poofed a duo charger into a single by forgetting the hit the breaker switch. So far, no water intrusion and I realized that I haven’t taken the board apart since I installed the Benchwheel remote some 600 miles ago.

3 Likes

I wonder if something could be done to make it impossible to forget the breaker switch.

Yeah, I was definitely trying to come up with a mechanical lockout, but by that time all my duo chargers we’re singles and it no longer mattered, haha. You can use two singles at a time no problem, even with the switch on (or at least I haven’t smoked another since). In any case I still mostly charge one side at a time now because I’m skurd

I’m going to try and make a wiring diagram that includes a mechanical lockout, maybe a shared loop key so only one can be connected at a time? I’ll be back with a sketch