"Seamless" LiPo charging

Im not sure how I feel about charging at 6s through the balance leads but having them connected in series to 12s through the mains. Im prolly not the best to answer this.

1 Like

If I can get a crystal clear diagram of how to splice two 6s balance leads into a 12s one then I’ll do it. I looked online for a while and couldn’t find it. When I tried it myself I burned a BMS and my fingers, which is why I’m hesitant.

image image

Maybe this will help

5 Likes

Thats the one I used and burned myself with :sob:

edit: I havent used the first one though, will try it with gloves on :wink:

3 Likes

12p connector won’t do for a 12s battery. You need 13p connector for balance leads and another 2p one for main charge leads. Charging over balance leads is possible but not recommended since you’ll get significant voltage drop on the leads and it will bias the voltage reading for the first and the last cell in the battery pack.

1 Like

Just do this

Its really no different to a regular BMS wiring.

Hey dude! With my PCB that @mmaner linked, it’ll make it alot easier to charge your packs. However you will still need a multimeter to solder the bms leads to the output pins of the pcb. The idea of the pcb is to have less balance leads to join and balance parallel packs.

If you don’t want a bms in your enclosure, you could wire the pcb pins to your plug you’ve bought, then have your bms connect to that plug from the outside of the enclosure and charge through that with a 12s charger. Or, you could have the bms inside the enclosure, and just have the input pin for the power supply on the outside of the enclosure :blush::blush:

2 Likes

Just to add my 2 cents to what @mynamesmatt mentioned - you need the meter to make sure your leads to the BMS are in the right order - if they’re not, that can cause the BMS to let all it’s magic smoke out.

3 Likes

I’m using two of these, so 24 pins in total.

2 Likes

Great ! I am going to keep a close eye on your PCB project. I cant wait to buy one when available!

2 Likes

That’s enough pins then. :slight_smile: Do you have two balance chargers and connect one to each connector?

I have a dual balance charger at the moment

1 Like

Have a similar plan to use a connector like this with a dual balance charger (maybe I need a sanity check also?)

1 Like

I’m gonna try it and let you know! Either we’re both insane or great minds think alike, lets see.

1 Like

Don’t use a dual balance charger on a pack that is connected in series unless you WANT a sparkle show. I learned the hard way (duh)

1 Like

I disconnect the series connection when charging.

2 Likes

Loop key position?

Negative side before ESC. I’ve gone through enough charge cycles to know I must be doing something right lol

So how are you going to split the series connection before you charge, when it’s all wired up in your enclosure?

1 Like

Well that’s what I came here for :joy:

I don’t do anything with these batteries until I get a bunch of feedback and general knowledge.

1 Like