Scooter Ressurection

Scooter Ressurection
or
Dumpster Treasure

Found this beauty out by the neighbors dumpster. I will let the pics speak for themselves. I will say that I’ve had an itch to do a scooter project for some time now. I had my eye out for something that needed a new battery, and a folding scooter chassis in the trash right across the street was something I couldn’t pass on.

I only need a maximum of 15-20 mph for this one, but decent range. Current powered with one side (6s5p) of a 12s5p I have in my eMTB.

I didn’t have everything I needed to do this so I asked around town to see I could round up some unused parts to bring this back from the dead.

I show m’lady the heap and she instantly likes it.

she likes the scooter carcass enough to let me off quarantine to go get parts, as long as we make drug deal style blind drops to avoid contact. So late last night my mission was as follows…

1. SPIM08HP cells from @arzamenable (those massive flat li-ions that don’t fit anywhere
  2. Flipsky 6374 190kv motor from @karamQ
  3. Flipsky 4.12 fesc from @bobby

the loot:

So grateful to have esk8 friends semi close, though that drive was like touching all four corners of San Diego county. Lucky these guys all stay up late and driving through the night is not so bad when it’s hot. Even delivered some motor pulleys and belts to @karamQ, and a motor mount to @bobby, a freakin’ esk8 delivery service :joy:

Rip the guts out

solder appropriate connections to the esc Wiring up a throttle like this requires use of the ADC port, not the PPM port.

I cheated and borrowed a battery from another board. This time for the initial setup, I made myself a bench mount motor mount to set it up before putting it together. Of course the motor ended up spinning backwards, so I had to connect again, but at least I had the warm fuzzy feeling that the ADC throttle was working and the motor detected.
20200425_184325

Now, for the motor mount, I hacked on a piece of 3"x3" angle aluminum with a chop saw and a drill press until it fit well and did what I needed. Marked the holes from a @boardnamics mount I had laying around, worked perfectly. Remember children, always drill pilot holes in accurate locations before opening to finished size.

I was lucky to have the right size motor sprocket, and the chain and wheel sprocket were already on the carcass.

whoopeeeeee!
20200425_211751

16 Likes

Nice work!
Your gifs are tiny and/or a very small resolution

1 Like

Thanks!
those GIFs… it’s this cheap phone…

1 Like

Nice work! I too have a free to me blade-z in my gay-raj, waiting for a resurrection. I dig your orange one though.

1 Like

5 Likes

Name that penguin :joy:

@ahrav

4 Likes

:penguin: :boom: :dash:

2 Likes