Samsung 20R Cells

Ohh God I’ve probably but 4 hours of research into this in the last few days.

Long story short chargers suck and cost way to much for what you get IMO.

There’s a great comparison on lygte https://lygte-info.dk/info/roundCellChargerIndex%20UK.html

It has every half decent charger out there.

Cream of the crop by far is the skyRC3000 it’s like 120 USD and only does 4 batteries at a time so yeah.

After that it kinda depends what you all need to do with your batteries but the best allrounder for price seems to be the xtar vc4s.

Which supports both capacity testing and charging/discharging to storage voltage which is a rare feature in most chargers.

The Opus Bt-3100 (I think that’s the model number) is also good but it’s fairly old these days and hard to find.

If you haven’t noticed there’s not a single 8 slot charger that can do a full charge/discharge/charge capacity test out there which is probably the stupidest thing ever IMO.

So have fun charging!

3 Likes

Oh wow thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I think I saw ProjectFarm (Youtube) using something similar for NIMH batteries a while ago, so I figured one probably existed for Liions. That resource you linked is super useful, had no idea it existed.

1 Like

We’re u asking about these?

I didn’t like this one.

Yeah honestly lygte has much better tools to compare graphs compared to what mooch was doing. And he tests wayyyyy more cells. That website is quite the goldmine.

2 Likes

Nope that ones shit. There’s seriously like 3 chargers you should use to capacity test cells. Either that or DIY it yourself.

Skyrc3000
Opus3100
Xtar vc4s
Or xtar dragon

Every other 18650 charger is useless for this kinda shit (I mean there’s a few others but that snot one of em lol) and they cost way to much.

2 Likes

I agree. The opus and xtar brands seem great.

The XTAR Dragon looks awesome, minus the price.

But consider this:

ESk8 needs high discharge, in packs that will get rattled, crashed, potentially neglected (left at non-storage voltages for extended periods of time). Your ass is literally on the line. They are also stuffed in hot, bolted closed places that limit emergency … access.

I wouldnt mess around with used cells. I don’t even like brand name cells from new vendors (that hg2 pack I recently made… will not be subjected to diy amperages).

The Opus is solid @ ~$50. Just picked one up.

1 Like

Yeah I thought about that too, I do know the exact application of where these came from, and I know that their age varies too, so it is a risk to use them in the high amp draw of esk8.

I think one of the other options like a range extender, big battery backup, or in a scooter or bike where I can pad them well is a better choice.

I will also be getting 30Q cells from the same application and I plan on using those for esk8. Given how much more reliable they are, I am less worried about them.

I always try to store my boards around storage charge if they sit for more than a week, it’s a hard thing to do because then you have to either ride them till they get to storage or just not charge them all the way back up after riding.

1 Like

Repurposed Cells aren’t all bad. @malJohann has some lifepo headway cells Of curious origin that he is putting to good use. But that’s a generally more resilient chemistry.

3 Likes

This. Far more resilient chemistry. My next battery pack will be A123’s in 20S6P, giving me the same Ah as I have now, at 500g less weight, and 300A capable output. They’re LiFePO4 too.

2 Likes

That’s pretty impressive, I’ve considered the A123 cells before, that’s what Boosted used for their boards I believe. I’m not sure why more people don’t use them, although it’s probably because you need more cells to get up the voltage that we usually ride at.

1 Like

Energy density and thus weight, ignoring that though, they’re epic cells that take abuse and last a looooong time.

For perspective, my current Headway 40152 20S1P 15Ah pack weighs 9.6kg. The above A123 20S6P pack should come in at 9.1kg.

1 Like

… and despite what I just said above…

They came from battery hook up.

70$ for 48. All at storage voltage, in a server PSU.

3 Likes

I’d love me some 120 of those rn!

I second the range extender suggestion. I sort all my old salvaged cells to be put into range extenders / charge on the go / charge away from an outlet packs.

1 Like

Lol hey we all like good prices for things, I don’t blame you. I might pick up cells from there before buying new if they have the ones I want.