Running independent batteries for each VESC???

Isn’t there a separate charging port on most BMS?

Oh, than you shouldn’t connect the vescs at all. And either use split PPM or two separate receivers (with a remote that can send signal to two seperate receivers at one time)

1 Like

it CAN be done, with components… but why…

disconnect the batteries from each other and run independent receivers… you will not run anything up

1 Like

My EE buddy said that the independent design of the batteries is by far the best option for the batteries, just not sure how the vescs will handle it. I think the single remote paired to two receivers is my best option. Does anyone know what remotes will do that or how to do that?

:unicorn: :dash: :dash:

mini

from the expert @b264

2 Likes

Making this connection requires the two batteries to be at the same voltage at the time they are connected, otherwise fire is likely.

4 Likes

15a limited battery per vesc is silly
while you’re friend I’m sure is a competent EE, he doesn’t seem to ride esk8s
you are much more likely to damage a vesc connected to battery that shuts off

4 Likes

Yeah I forgot to write that they should be charged to the same voltage. But if they haven’t been used yet, they should be both at storage voltage. But if you just charge them to the same voltage, and check with a multimeter before conencting them then imo they should work fine after.

Ahh. I think you forgot to mention you’re a dwarf. Cuz then 15A might be good enough for you. But if you’re a normal sized human being, maybe it’s time to call Jenny Craig or Weightwatchers

Was not targeted at you @Scepterr LOL

4 Likes

blowing up vescs due to battery shutoff midride used to be pretty common, then people switched to bypass or much beefier capable bms
even if you limit vesc to 15A it will spike above that
@Texas_Guy if vesc safety is your goal, this isnt the way to do it I think

4 Likes

I think you wanted to ping @Texas_Guy

1 Like

you’re making a whole lot of assumptions and poor suggestions

1 Like

Forgetting to mention this is how fires get started. We can’t assume anyone reading this knows that. I wouldn’t even trust storage charge, they can easily be many tenths of a volt different even if both are at a storage charge. That’s easily enough to start a fire.

The best way is to check them with a multimeter. Don’t stick multimeter prongs in a charge port, though.

2 Likes

I feel really sorry, I really should have wrote down checking whether they are the same voltage. I won’t make this mistake again.

1 Like

should we go on about the other mistakes?
some are listed in this thread
or just let it go?

They burn because the BMS is trash and switches on the lowside, this results in the two ESCs being at different ground potentials.

1 Like

No sweat man, no harm done. I appreciate the help and am an engineer my self. I know if you connect things at a different potential that the pixies start to fly and you let the smoke out.

1 Like

Will I have that issue because I am running these independently and the esc’s arent connected?