Reply to "Pictures and nothing else" thread

Great, thanks a lot.

It would be fantastic if you or someone else could once be so kind to post a picture how the (i) roll-to-start option versus the (ii) power-switch option with 2 VESCs MK III looks like?

For example, it is still unclear to me how the power-switch option would be advantageous, or is it instead more or less identical, to the setup depicted below that also has a power switch (magenta arrow) although it uses 2 (old) VESCs 6 Plus instead of 2 VESCs 6 MK III (despite that it has a battery from Mboards and too many adapters, yes I know)?

1 Like

If you use the VESC switch, you have roll to start and auto power off. And one less point of failure.

1 Like

4 Likes

I was thinking about getting one of those laser thermometers to keep an eye on the temps.

1 Like

Is that wood glue around the insert? If you still have a little bit of the insert slot that you used the tool on I would try to back it out with a flat head. If that doesnt work put some jb weld or epoxy on a cap head screw and let it cure fully. You should be able to get it out by backing it out by hand. I would also suggest installing the inserts by hand a cap screw and a nut between the cap head and the insert will make a world of difference.

3 Likes

Courtesy by Trampa visualizing the different connections (of option 1 (if I am not mistaken)). Thanks a lot!

4 Likes

Thank you kindly, I got the extrusion, but where did you get/what are the rollers called, can’t for the life of me think of what the name for that part actually is.

USS Enterprise

3 Likes

Ah my bad i forgot to mention it in the thread.

It’s a conveyor roller.

https://sg.rs-online.com/web/p/conveyor-rollers/7613161/

1 Like

Gracias

2 Likes

De nada

1 Like

Thanks for that, I hadn’t seen it before and now I won’t be able to unsee it…

1 Like

@longhairedboy approves tho

5 Likes

That looks good.

1 Like

680 should be perfect… let us know how it goes… I haven’t tested 680 as I told you… I had a high-temp, high-strength epoxy available and used that… secondarily I’d have used 680 or 648 locktite…

Just curious how you managed to tightly screw your can cap and motor can together tightly?

I made a fixture to tighten the assembly as tight as I physically could once the epoxy was installed properly,

2 Likes

@MoeStooge did you leave your giant balls of steel in there or are those Mario’s? (Looks like you let him borrow your leathers)

@Arzamenable has one glance and is like “damn, can’t compete”

12 Likes

Mario was in my gear. I jumped on Brad Millers board last minuite after Noah Lickhaulter backed out.

6 Likes

It was honestly a huge pain in the dick. The bottom of the stator sits on a bearing and is super easy to fuck it up and not have it thead on correctly. I was super scared doing this as loctite 680 dries fast af and I could have easily fucked myself if it dried before it was threaded on fully.

What I did was get the first thread in and kinda spread out the loctite evenly then threaded the can on.

3 Likes

but how did you get the threaded cap butt-ass tight?

by hand?

3 Likes

My hand :wink:

Pretty sure I have carpal tunnel now

3 Likes