Reply to "Pictures and nothing else" thread

Kelly you know I can be bribed in 40Ts and weed.

2 Likes

Personally, I wouldn’t. But i don’t see it as a massive potential threat as long as the cells are reasonably similar.

The 12s13p brick is a force to be reckoned with :rofl:

1 Like

I guess we will have to disagree on this. I’ve personally witnessed exactly what can happen in these situations.

I used to build large custom batteries for mobile walking robots, and as a result have created a list of hard do’s and don’ts. Mixing cells is #1 on the list of don’ts. Ha

8 Likes

Acknowledged and understood. If I am ever tempted, I will remember this day :rofl:

2 Likes

Damn bro, that is looking fresh! Did you make those extension brackets or buy them?

3 Likes

Whose that? Lol and why?

Kevin dark is building the best packs to light up your board.
Or lets say, 50/50 that your pack will short out if you bought a battery build by him.

3 Likes

Haha damn but why is this pack I built similar to his? I’ve been building big packs like this for years and haven’t had a short

Think people are concerned about the sharp nickel edges, what appears to be mis-matched cells, irregular welds, exposed contacts, things of that sort

3 Likes

They’re all new 30q cells. I made a mistake the first time so I had to rewrap them.

I don’t see an issue with sharp nickel edges if handled properly, I flatten them before welding.

Exposed contacts? Its an unfinished battery…?

Irregular welds? Maybe here and there but for every bum weld there are hundreds of solid ones. I can assure this pack is built well, it has more than enough nickel strip at any given point. There are 2 layers mostly though out.

1 Like

They’re all new 30q cells, i messed up on the configuration the first time and had to change the wrap out

2 Likes

Every series group has at least 7 nickel strip connections. This battery will only need to output 35 amps constant.

Makes sense, also it being unfinished.

My concern is that your welds don’t look to be evenly spaced or stepped between layers, and personally 2x welds per connection makes me nervous when they aren’t evenly spaced.

Promise I’m not intentionally trying to be a cunt. Just saw some things that raised an eyebrow, but if you’re not done yet makes sense :wink:

This, for example, made me wonder wtf was going on here as it’s not clear in the pic

1 Like

I see your point but most of those nickel strip are not even necessary this pack has over 3000 welds in it and the first layer all has 3 welds per connection. The top layer has 2 which are sort of just ‘thrown on’ as a backup.

I agree that the pack is unconventional and confusing as fuck ( that was my fault) i originally made the pack as 16s13p but then decided to change it up. And for anyone who has built packs, you know it’s hard as fuck to fix those types of mistakes but I did my best. The outcome was a super confusing layout but still completely functional

In that picture, those bottom 3 cells are just paralleled with the top 6 shown. Not much current will past through those cells as they are only 3 of 16 available And even those bunch of 3 cells have 3-4 connections to the parallel group.

I really don’t understand the comments from some people, it’s a solid pack. It’s going in my own ebike

3 Likes

Roger. That makes total sense.

You will have to forgive me on this one, but from pictures alone I don’t think I was the only one confused. Hah.

9 Likes

Yeah sorry, wasnt trying to call you out, just clarifying what i thought caught some peoples attention.
Especially with the initial lack of detail im sure you can understand the confusion especially given some previous examples that have been posted here before.
Glad this was a non-issue

4 Likes

Yea no worries man I’m always open to criticism

3 Likes

If this was on builders we’d be in an last Man standing alley fight at this point. Progress? Hah

What’s the frame you’re building into?

I really want an ebike but I’m stuck because I don’t really want to put in the effort to build one myself right now, but I know if I buy one I’ll end up with regret owning a prebuilt.

Is yours a regular bike you’ve kitted out?

1 Like

We need as many grown-ass adults like this on the forum as possible. Props.

6 Likes