šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

This order has yet to be confirmed.

Glad to have you here!

1 Like

I have this wire line up setup on my KALY mod. Was avoiding the long wire this time around. The massive Bms is in the way and is going on top of first set of cells. Thus the reason for use of braid. Iā€™ve used braid before it works flawlessly. Thanks for the picture, could have used this on my first 18s

1 Like

In a flexible battery setup? There have been more than a few pics of braided lengths longer than say, 2ā€ breaking a dangerous amount of strands over time.

Probably fine for personal use, especially if youā€™re going to be checking it every now & then. But future readers should take heed of the fact it can break down, along with so many open lengths like that also being very prone to shorting accidents. Even an errant screw in the enclosure could wreak havoc on that.

I wonder if there are any purity issues re:braid suppliers & how much power itā€™s able to take. Silicone hobby wire is atleast pretty reliable at this point.

no no no

Having something on top of the cells is even more reason to NOT use braid.

You could use two 14AWG or six 20AWG wires though in lieu of a single 10AWG wire if thickness is an issue.

1 Like

Eh, with proper insulation itā€™s fine. 2 or more layers of legitimate fishpaper covering the bottom of the BMS is enough. Unless youā€™re worried about induction interference or something, I donā€™t think there would be any issues tho

1 Like

Fishpaper always helps but I donā€™t know that itā€™d stop fray, from hitting bumps and having the BMS smash down onto the battery. One bump is fine. Ten bumps is fine. A thousand bumps is probably fine. How many isnā€™t fine? I donā€™t want to find out.

Love the safety tips. Whatā€™s the hurry? Itā€™s intended to be the safest with the configuration I intend. As always, as you go along changes are made depending on how things progress. But as to the braid, these go in car engines for thousand of miles. I dare you to rip one apart without tools. This is a 3/4 braid and itā€™s to be insulated and solder joints epoxied.

In cars they donā€™t solder the braid.

If you insulate every single one you might be fine but anything on top of it including the deck has the potential to fray it, so plan to have some headroom. Lots of harsh vibrations in esk8 that donā€™t happen in a car. This has happened to me:

4 Likes

@Skyart do you have that picture of the wire braid that wore apart? I canā€™t recall what build it was but I donā€™t think most people know that is even possible with braid.

2 Likes

You left that open with just a wrap over it? That was the issue. Plus your welds look light, thus the movement

Yes just shrink wrap, usually have no issue as long as thereā€™s headroom. If by weld you mean solder, I put a decent pool underneath on the nickel first. But I donā€™t think itā€™s the lateral movement here that is the issue, if thatā€™s what you mean by movement. Itā€™s the rubbing against the deck due to vibrations.

Btw, Iā€™m not saying donā€™t do it cause clearly I use braid. Just a warning other things on top of the battery can cause the braids to fray. But I donā€™t see it being a problem if you can lay neoprene between the BMS and battery, then neoprene between the deck and BMS. And if that doesnā€™t compress when you bolt the enclosure on. You should be fine.

I mentioned that because when I first welded braid I did not use enough solder. But when I placed a generous pool, it soaked onto the whole braid and stiffened it from fraying

I just want to say, that if I get any suggestions that are better than what I have planned, Iā€™m going with it. I want this thing to rock in safety. I spend hours reading the forum, mostly at 3am in the middle of the night. Why reinvent the wheel is my motto. Ego gets in the way sometimes but much less after 60. Iā€™m 61 years old and can ride as good as any of you. But being old got a lot less to prove. Iā€™m walking down the mountain

You already got them

2 Likes

ā€¦and I appreciate it, still going with braid thoā€¦ :rofl:

Thenā€¦why ask for better suggestions and not taking them?

3 Likes

I didnā€™t ask

I didnā€™t mean to be rude in that answer. I do appreciate it. Iā€™ve been lurking here for a while. Iā€™ve picked up countless advice on tech you personally have given others. You are in the know. I intend to be there as well in time.

1 Like