šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

Send nudes to prove it

4 Likes

one thing I found is that I was able to keep the board more stable above ~30 mph when i wasnā€™t accelerating hard (this board produces ~1/2 of the thrust the SRB boards make). While slowly gaining speed or coasting I could shift my weight farther forwards and fully focus on keeping the steering stable, but when was accelerating harder I ended up putting more weight in the back to not get thrown off balance and this made the board more wobbly. is there any technique to dealing with this or do the trucks just need to be setup differently?

From words given to me. from downhillers and other racersā€¦ more weight on the front helps prevent wobbles. Idk if iā€™ve felt that out for myself but I think i have naturally shifted more forward. in part because early esk8 joy riding i would always wear out my back leg because I think the thrust makes you naturally fall into weight on the back. you can still counter thrust with your weight more forward just angles change a bit.

whatā€™s the steering angle on your back truck? for 40mph+ you want it pretty dead.

2 Likes

not sure what the angle is, but its the standard setting. linkages go from the top of the axle to the middle hole on the baseplate bracket.

I suppose I probably should have checked with someone as to wether or not this setup was reasonable for these speeds before I just went for it lol.

You might pop in the SRB thread and ask those questions of moe directly.

the 3 holes gives 3 points of easy macro adjustment. but the angles also depend on how far the center heim is from the base plate. (and then how the radius rods are mounted. under/over axel, more washers, ā€¦ )

the angle to look at is the radius rods to the plane of the ground or the deck.
increase the angle is more steer decrease the angle is less steer.

your mid rod pickup point there looks like a decent amount of steer maybe too much for hitting 45mph+

was your front full steer?

on my v5 if i do mid rear and full steer front i can feel it ocasionally get squirrely at 40mph. you can see me track side to side a little in the 0-40mph thread.

(remember my actual angles may be different and the v5 geometry is slightly different than the track pack setup. no base plate on the v5, among other things)

one other thing that comes to mind. IMO narrow is better. the less leverage the ground has to start the self oscillations that is speed wobbles the better. iā€™ve felt this difference. and I believe downhillers have moved in narrower and narrower for similar ā€œbetter leverageā€ reasoning.

3 Likes

thereā€™s other thigns at speed that can start your wobbles too likeā€¦ ESCs performing differently at full pin on each side. max duty_cycle edge conditionsā€¦ thereā€™s threads around here about that stuff.

2 Likes

I find that weight distribution on acceleration can be quite difficult. The best thing I can suggest is to keep your back leg as straight as it can be, while leaning forward with your front leg almost squatting.

This allows your back leg to act as a brace against the acceleration, while keeping your weight over your front foot.

Itā€™s definitely a challenge, but worth practicing for sure.

7 Likes

I have found 2 things to help, I love doing 25-55 mph pulls and my board will chuck me off even if Iā€™m prepared so this is something I have lots of experience with. The real fix is bushings, I basically have rocks as my rear pushing which solves the stability problem, I just put as much weight to the front as I can but obviously inertia will try to keep more to the back. The second is either to use bindings or do something that takes a LOT of faith (stupidity) and grab the front of your board pull the front of your body down, shove your front foot into the deck, lock your back leg and slam the throttle. It works extremely well, however, you need an incredible amount of faith in your skills, board, and know the road really well since you basically cant see or react.

6 Likes

My only issue with super hard rear bushings is that it makes it way easy to lift the rear wheels on hard turns. I feel like a much lower steering angle and softer bushings would counter this

5 Likes

Yeah, absolutely, personally I dont have any issue above 10ish mph but at lower speeds, I canā€™t turn and any turn I get the opposite wheel to the direction of turn will lift off the ground. I was thinking about getting a dewedge riser and that will probably be next along with a set of maybe 80a riptides instead of my 90a, maybe even softer, I am currently addicted to passing cars in a 45mph zone though and I have gotten super comfortable on this setup.

4 Likes

Is this deck as dreamy in person as it is in pictures?

2 Likes

Itā€™s pretty epic! Throwing it together with parts i have to test ride soon. Hopefully by this weekend :crossed_fingers:.

Itā€™s final form will be some time off still.

3 Likes

Soooo sick. Canā€™t wait to hear thoughts.

3 Likes

Speed wobbles huh, I thought stooge trucks couldnā€™t get those lol

Glad you survived alright tho

Edit: I see you got some good advice. When I set up my stooge trucks I guess Iā€™ll check with some pros first

2 Likes

Split angles FTW

2 Likes

Is that one of our decks in the wild? If so, you mind I use the image?

What battery pack you go in that?

1 Like

Yep go for it man :slightly_smiling_face:. Added a set of bindings so had to do a loop of my river run test track.

2 Likes

Looks great mate, perfect machine for around the river.

Monster battery?

1 Like

Built my own 12s8p brick from 21700 cells. So far Iā€™ve got a range of about 80km from it

2 Likes

Living the dream!

5 Likes