🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread 2023

How does the locked differential treat you?

Also man, inrunners look cool, I wanna dabble in them sometime.

1 Like

Huh

Dual motors still have the ability to run at different RPM which does reduce slip in turns and acts as a virtual differential. Runing 2 wheels with one driveshaft is like having traction control forcefully on all the time.

1 Like

It’s an EL2 for a customer that I took for a test ride. The cover is to preserve the deck and enclosure since its always moist in Portland

The UAV has a similar style but completely different deck and enclosure built from the ground up. All in house

3 Likes

Originally they were called motion pictures, so technically still on-topic.

2 Likes

to 3d print?

3 Likes

I actually want to mill it once I get a 3 axis (early next year probably). The design has a few cool features, but also many downsides. First of all it’s 5 milled parts + way too many screws and 5 long hex spacers. Lot of mill time, lot of weight, lot of material, and lot of tapping threads manually. So it’s expensive to make. But it’s also a cool design because I can easily mill it on a 3 axis in a single operation (this was #1 design criteria). Other features are, that the spokes can be swapped for other designs easily, and most importantly, I can remove the outer hub part without removing the axle nut - meaning tube and tire replacements would be very easy. This feature was inspired by Exway’s upcoming system, not my own idea though :smiley:

I will probably 3D print a prototype before commiting to mill it out of a lot of material, though it won’t be rideable, because the design requires metal threads for a hopefully adequately robust assembly.

3 Likes

This would be super cool. Almost at “hubcap” stage now. Would be really neat to see “solid spoke” covers on (no spoke)

1 Like

There you go :slight_smile: Could make the surface smoother, I just have to look into it how I can model that in.

2 Likes

PS: I can’t hide the valve behind the hubcap, because it’s not possible to flip it. The assembly would get in the way on the other side, and the hub is not wide enough to hide it on this side. (It’s 50mm width + 5mm + 5mm for the edges of the rim.)

This is the other side, minus all the fasteners :smiley:

2 Likes

Man all these sweet rims coming out these days it’s tempting to leave Kegel behind as a standard in favor of more tire and rim options

1 Like

Label makers are fun

This would be MBS pattern, but the first set is gonna be made in probably like 9-10 months only. And would for sure need testing before I would release it for sale. The price would also be high, probably even compared to other CNC’ed hubs. The issue is, that while I managed to make it easily millable on a 3 axis, I added a lot parts which means lot of mill time and lot of material. Also it would be like 620g or so per hub even without the record amount of fasteners used (at least in the current iteration). So likely between 675-750g in the end. Probably the heaviest in class. With that said, the swappable hub spoke / cap and the easy tire change might be good enough features that some people would be willing to pay extra for.

1 Like

I’m definitely in that group of people, although the added weight is my main concern.

1 Like

Lol the “Sigelei” tips me right off that this is in fact a vape battery

1 Like

I could try to shave it down to a degree, but it’s still gonna end up heavier than other hubs, no matter what I do. Would probably be able to shave it down to 500g with fasteners I think. Will see what i can do, it’s still like 9 months or so before I will be able to buy a capable CNC I think.

Also if I sell a few things that I will make on the CNC, I could use the profit to reinvest into the business by acquiring a second smaller 3 axis CNC that I would try to convert into a 4 or 5 axis machine. That would open up a lot more possibilities for less complicated, and ultimately lighter designs. No chance I would be able to afford something that’s sold as 5 axis.

1 Like

what’re those rims and wheels on the right? looks like stretched kendas

200x75s on kaly fat hubs.

2 Likes

Must have been a coincidence, because the only thing in vesc that tells it to drive the motors at the same or similar speed is if you have traction control enabled. Otherwise you can definitely have 1 tire slip out and spin faster, especially on turns.

But that’s a smart way to test it to be fair, I’m tempted to do that myself to see the difference.

4 Likes

Holy crap that’s insane. That’s more than most wheels plus the tire and pulley

1 Like