šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

oh my god ā€¦ Cat lovers are melting here :face_holding_back_tears: :heart:

very :smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m still working on getting durability as high as possible for painted parts. The first time I bought primer I could only find the universal stuff and turns out it isnā€™t super strong for aluminium and leads to paint getting chipped off easier, but that could also be because the hanger I painted and has seen actual use only got one application of the colored paint.

For more recent stuff, I bought aluminium specific primer that is supposed to be better but havenā€™t been able to test the part it is on yet. Even when I knew it existed and had seen it in the store before it was still so hidden that I almost ended up going to another store to buy some because I couldnā€™t find it. :weary:

1 Like

What the very fuck? Thats the first carbon ive seen snapped, thats not common right?

2 Likes

Yeah pretty rare, I see someone post about it (here, reddit, discord) probably every month or two but thatā€™s nothing compared to how many of these they sell. Sometimes cars, sometimes just bump. This is very well known in communities that use carbon frames, especially mountain biking, carbon fiber is extremely susceptible to tiny imperfections that can compromise its strength because of how precise you have to be with carbon manufacturing to achieve proper strength for applications like this. Because of the nature of Chinese manufacturing, there isnā€™t exactly world-class QC, but I would not worry about it if you have a carbon deck, just check it every once in a while because the cracks usually start small.

2 Likes

Yip yip!

3 Likes

jw - whyā€™d you go onyx? You seem to do a good amount of surron-ish trails

to each is own! just wondering

2 Likes

It was a toss up for me but it came down to ultimate purpose.

I havenā€™t been able to skate nearly as often recently with new baby and taking on extra consulting work and itā€™s really been bumming me out. My trip to work is 7 miles each way but I hit some stretches of road that are 45-50mph. I was leaning sur ron for a while because I have a phenomenal off road track near me through the woods that they just expanded.

But then I kept coming back to ā€œyou often donā€™t have enough time to skate the park attached to your neighborhoodā€¦ Do you really think youā€™ll get more free time to go to the bike park?ā€

So for now, Iā€™m getting comfortable with how heavy the onyx is and getting it to speed. I had next to zero experience with motorcycle like objects before this so taking it over 50 still has me white knuckling.

The ultimate goal is to be able to ride it back and forth to work on nice days as a crutch to my esk8 addiction. Iā€™ve been mapping out paths that will be safest for me (least traffic / big intersections).

Red are the fast and most dangerous roads
Blue is normal way I drive to work
Yellow is a pretty safe rural route
Orange is probably the safest but a bit longer of a trip.

I would absolutely love a lightweight emtb one day to lazily shred through the mtb trails but the onyx has been doing fine for average woods walking trails. The sur ron is like 110 lbs, onyx rcr is 150ish, the onyx lzr is only 40lbs so I feel like I could whip that thing through switchbacks with no problem.

3 Likes

give no fuck

2 Likes

That would take me through an alpaca farm :thinking:

1 Like

no problem, they donā€™t run fast

if u wearing a helmet then their spit donā€™t really hurtā€¦i think

This page teaches you to spit in the same way so you can return the blows.

1 Like

That will be great, thanks!

Itā€™s tough to hit 35 offroad but Iā€™ll give it a go and see if I end up with alpaca spit on my face

1 Like

donā€™t forget to gopro it

Germany right ?
I canā€™t remember the name/brand ā€¦ :thinking: It will come to me , give me a moment

1 Like

@bboybowzer is UK based ; did these trucks come from Germany ? ANyway @Africaans , you were asking for EU based :slightly_smiling_face:

pretty sure @bboybowzer lives in seattle

Do you remember if he post something on this forum?

Trust me same lol, these bikes are small in the grand scheme

Iā€™m always interested in why ppl go surron over onyx or onyx over surron since theyā€™re such competitors price/moddability-wise.

The lzr seems to be pretty fun makes me want to make a light emtb

2 Likes