šŸ–¼ Reply to ā€œPictures and nothing elseā€ thread 2023

You must certainly be atleast the 68th nicest guy here after that. :green_heart::alien:

3 Likes

Nope, Iā€™ve dropped to 96thšŸ˜”

Wth. How does this ranking work. This is confusing.

1 Like

Instead they decided to make it worse with pozi drive :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

I hope youā€™ve been practicing your naked mud bath gladiator moves.

2 Likes

For sure, thatā€™s chapter 2 of our fluid bonding regime

There will also be a nice layer of very sticky thermal paste between the two
[/quote]
@ApproachCautiously thermal paste is definitely not needed in this case . Itā€™s use is usually to fill the tiny gaps between imperfections in mating surfaces, usually small computer parts. In our case, we have a quite large area of surface contact. Your heat sink is machined ā€œprettyā€ flat, and so is the esc mating part (I would assume), but good enough for our use.
Most boards operate just fine without an external heatsink, so the added mess of paste is not needed in my opinion. That said, I choose to use a heatsink for added piece of mind.
Hopefully I didnā€™t offend you to badly, it was not my intent, but Phillips head drives are NEVER the first choice of any good project.
I also hope the length of the screws you found are not too long, as they could create problems with the esc internals.
My last 2 centsā€¦ā€¦
Stop using thermal paste for Eska8 heatsinks.
@ApproachCautiously you did a great job making that cutout, and I read your advice on doing it, and it is spot on.

3 Likes

Disagree, Phillips had their time and were high tech at some point (that point was very long ago though). The design has an automatic torque limiter, which was really useful before clutches in handtools came along. And it actually worked if high quality steel was a given.

That being said, Phillips can now go die in hell for all I care, I even take socket heads (which can also go die in hell) over Phillips or Pozi.

4 Likes

It may not be needed but it wonā€™t hurt to add some :person_shrugging: Iā€™ve got some from when I needed to replace the stuff on my esc where things were not likely flat enough without it. The mess is only an issue when the build isnā€™t finished which is why Iā€™m adding it last

I double checked that and I think I removed a mm or so of length just to be safe even though it didnā€™t look like theyā€™d get in the way when checking the length from the side. It looked like it would just barely clear everything

It just came off as the old phillps head hate bandwagon that people on here seem to all be on tbh :rofl:
Although it is a bit annoying to see people join in and yet add nothing of value aside from ā€œit is badā€

Plus, knowing you made / designed this heat sink makes it more understandable as Iā€™d probably hate to see my product being used ā€œwrongā€ too. just sell me the hardware Iā€™m missing and weā€™re good even though I never really had a problem with you to begin with.

Removed the small format modifier for you @Savage1

It is very bad. Phillips is inferior to every head type out there apart from slots, and even that is debatable.

:grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

3 Likes

There are plenty of cases where it works fine and without issues. I bet you guys would love to see what the inside of older laptops look like and what bolts they use :rofl: I donā€™t use or buy laptops anymore so I havenā€™t been inside models from the last 4 or so years they only really use the security bolts on the outside bolts and inside they use phillips head

Donā€™t go into any hardware stores as you might have a heart attack :rofl:

I couldnā€™t read the last part as Iā€™m getting old, and refuse to get glasses. (Small print :poop:)
Sending you proper hardware

4 Likes

Do you think itā€™s worth it for motors? Iā€™ve seen people put it between the motor and motor mounts, and it seems to help significantly for thermals as the mounts then become heatsinks/thermal mass, particularly for sealed cans.

Mounts are already heatsinks/thermal mass. The paste just fills in microscopic gaps, allowing slightly better thermal transfer.

The paste is also nasty stuff thatā€™s difficult to clean off some things and possibly toxic.

1 Like

As a carpenter, Iā€™ve had to deal with that stupid drive system for my entire adult life.

Its a bandwagon because it really is shit.

7 Likes

Yeah, and Iā€™m assuming the thermal transfer is the main issue since mounts usually are sandblasted and arenā€™t smooth whatsoever.

I did this because i noticed my motor mounts werenā€™t getting that hot. Seems to transfer heat better now

It would be interesting to see the data with or without, actually. It might, but how much actually, I donā€™t know. I do know the face of most motors are not perfect.

Fwiw, the thermal transfer between my sk3s and your tkps seemed to be excellent. The whole handle even got reasonably warm

1 Like

Hmm, some are, and some are not.

1 Like

Similar words could be said about Phillips drives or FUB measurements

2 Likes