🖼 Reply to “Pictures and nothing else” thread 2023

Link??

3 Likes

Hmmmmmmm👀 would it be worth buying?

1 Like

I would wait for reviews but if you want a DIY one wheel its the only option so only you can decide if it’s worth it.

2 Likes

…you know you can just etch the black anodizing off with some drain cleaner, yeah? Just making sure that’s not what you were going for.

1 Like

@Martymane are these painted or powdercoated? Trying to find someone local to do some powdercoat and some of the prices are nuts

2 Likes

I forgot I had some acetone before I sanded it all off, but also I don’t even know if it would have removed it at all. I’d also still need to redo the letters on the side since all they did was use a laser to remove the paint to put that logo there.

Sanding after removing the paint would still need to be done as well to ensure that the spray paint I use has a nice surface finish. The final surface finish on the aluminum under the paint was not good enough to be able to use glossy enamel paint on it with a good outcome. It was fine for the rough truck bed liner-eqsue black paint though since that stuff hides flaws very well.

For the sake of science, I will test out the acetone in the areas where the bearings and bushing sits in. If it works it means I won’t need to tape them off when spraying the primer and paint. The area won’t be seen so if the surface finish is crap it won’t really matter anyway

Edit: also not going to lie it is very satisfying and pleasant to sand them down anyway. If I was worried about speed I would get out my orbital sander at the risk of messing up the shape in some areas and at the cost of my skin or gloves too probably.

3 Likes

Powder coated in disco purple. It was about 20$ a wheel at my local shop so not cheap but not terrible.

2 Likes

Idk about acetone, but drain cleaner works very well, and even leaves laser engravings untouched, used it myself. On the other hand, it doesn’t work as good as a meditative medium as sanding, I’ll give you that. :smiley:

3 Likes

The laser engraving was on the paint only and it wasn’t actually etched into the aluminum itself. Very minor laser marks were left on the metal but it would have been way harder to follow that as a guide.

The acetone definitely works so I could have skipped the first two or three sanding passes and it would have made the small details easier but oh well too late now. I don’t think it would have saved much time though since I don’t really have a good space or container to be able to just soak it in the acetone and then just shake the paint off via vibrations. Plus this way my workspace just got covered in aluminum instead of smelling like acetone

2 Likes

Gets new shoes, still doesn’t use them :rofl:

5 Likes

Ergh the fuckin things are so tight! Wore them all day and by the time it was biznes time, the shoes could fuck right off

1 Like

I’ve always imagined a stepping machine with a mold of your foot, to help break in shoes. That or hire someone with a similar foot size and shape :joy:

They need some serious breaking in on the leather sections. Gonna try wet them and speed up the break-in process

1 Like

That’s not bad at all. Cheapest I’ve gotten quoted so far is $150 for a set of 4

1 Like

Damn ya that’s pretty steep. I just brought it in to the first shop that I found which was closest to me and the quote was reasonable. Maybe they think it’s larger than they really are? Idk but at that point you could likely mail it to a shop across the country and save money lol

I love the shape of this deck! I’m curious to try it

1 Like

that’s a jig for deck drilling ? looks like a lot of hour of 3D printing xD

5 Likes

Yep, needed to remake my jig cos I did some bad CAD on the first iteration. And i added the locating piece to make it easier to use. It was 18hrs :rofl: coulda been faster but i didn’t need it to be :grin:

Was also my first time experimenting with modifiers in prusaslicer, was pretty cool! Increased walls and infill in the areas that get clamped.

6 Likes

Nice my fear with these printed guides is that I’d drill a bit off into the plastic depending on the tolerances.

4 Likes