Repair Hoyt St Receiver

@sioux612 I’ve heard there is this @xsynatic guy in Germany too, maybe he can helps with the soldering,
be careful, he’s pretty weird though
@BillGordon told me he balckmail people for nudes

That’s the price of business.

But yeah i could totally help but unfortunately only next week. I’ll be gone until Next Monday.

1 Like

Thank you all for the tips, and if things go way sideways I might actually come back on that offer in a week.

Until then I will wait for an answer from bioboards (hope they sell them), will attempt soldering it myself, or give it to an electrician friend of mine in case i fail without damaging anything permanently (unlikely but who knows - the no permanent damage bit, not the failing bit)

I didn’t even know they made a type like that. I’m guess the ends can be removed while holding the pin up and keeping the solder liquid then? If so that is a giant pain in the ass to deal with

Not sure why even bother to use a connector if they’re not removable without soldering them off. :thinking: The whole point of the connector is to make it easy to disconnect and reconnect them.

1 Like

I can tell.

Nope.

Geometry doesn’t work like that. The entire connector can be removed from the board with a reflow station or very wide soldering iron tip. Only then, the tab above each pin can be pulled up and the wire removed.

Actually, the point of this connector seems to primarily be for aligning many pins at once for soldering to a board, and then providing strain relief for those wires. If Hoyt wanted this cable to be disconnectable, I’m sure they would’ve chosen a different JST connector.

Thank you. That “some genius” comment by OP was unnecessary imo.

1 Like

Just attempted to desolder the connector and I definitely will not attempt to solder a new connector on myself. I think I might need a reflow station to do that in any way shape or form correctly, as is I keep having issues removing the pins and solder from the holes completly, in addition to that anti corrosion spray they have installed not making soldering easier and as I mentioned earlier I am quite incompetent in regards to soldering

Also need to find a place to order connectors with such narrow spacing, I just have a bunch of XH and Dupont connectors here (which BTW held up remarkably well in my board, just gave a dab of glue as cable relief and thats it)

In case you can’t get your receiver repaired, I think I have one spare, new or like new, I can sell you. Shipping would be from Germany as well.

4 Likes