Radium 6485 & 6455 Motors

The next batch which will be the V6 design will be 8mm shaft only, but the ones that are left of the current batch are all 10mm shaft

4 Likes

Its really easy. We’ll be doing a video showing how to swap bearings out soon. You just need circlip pliers and something like an allen key such as the ones that come in a skate T tool to lever the bearings out. It takes maybe 10 minutes to change all the bearings in one motor

5 Likes

If you got V4s you might want to have a look here:

I took my set apart when I got them. There might be some good recommendations in this post and you can see how to take them apart.
It’s pretty simple.

7 Likes

Still super thankful for your insight on those motors! Big thanks :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Any chance of a shorter (24mm?) motor shaft with a channel for a circlip, so these could be easily used with Apex’ gear drives?

1 Like

Anyone with the 205kV one can provide the phase resistance in vesc detection?

1 Like

You can shorten your own shaft and make your own groove with a dremel

2 Likes

If someone hasn’t done it by then I can get the value in a week when my controller arrives.

3 Likes

The V6 shaft will be 30mm because any shorter wont work for some belt drive setups. I could still add a circlip groove in the right spot for the jump drives so its just a matter of cutting the shaft but I worry about it being annoying for people with belt drive pulleys as they may catch on the circlip groove sometimes and the last thing we need is for motor pulleys to be harder to get on/off :joy:

Most gear drives need a pretty short shaft and cutting them isn’t that hard as long as you have access to an angle grinder.

Multiple shaft options would be too expensive for now (need to order hundreds of shafts at time)

2 Likes

IMHO we need a wiki thread just for this kind of information

1 Like

I was so excited for these because of the 40mm shaft, RIP :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

how come you need such a long shaft?

Trampa OBD - thick mount and a 20mm wide pulley

Got it, thanks! Cutting it down to size is no problem, but making a groove would be. I totally get that it could cause problems for people using pulleys and that’s likely a much larger market segment for you. I’ll keep my fingers crossed and see what you decide for the next version! :grimacing::crossed_fingers:

1 Like

I might have to try, these motors are super sweet! Hopefully shafts aren’t too expensive for me to make mistakes.

Increase the price of each motor by the cost of 1 shaft exactly and offer 2 skews :rofl: (Could even include the second shaft along with the motor for those that might want to repurpose their motors later on)

1 Like

Haha well the shaft has to be installed by the factory and should never be removed, so the decision needs to be made in advance or I have to order more variants ontop of all the different kv which already sucked.

And then theres the issue that the minimum quantity of shafts needs to be ordered, but we don’t have the financial resources to do so (hopefully things will change as Radium grows, but that also depends heavily on how big the eskate market actually is)

2 Likes

So if im correct the V6 will be an 8mm shaft, 30mm long without a circlip groove right?

1 Like

Yeah thats the current design. I’ve also added quite a smooth taper where the shaft transitions to 10mm for strength reasons so that may be another reason the circlip system wouldn’t work anyway as the shaft will expand the shims/spacer like a mandrel (you’ll know what I’m talking about if you’ve used wheel spacers on the inside of matrix 2 trucks)

4 Likes

Some pics of the motors with our 30mm hole pattern adapters :smirk:

10 Likes