Radium 6485 & 6455 Motors

That’s what the roll of electric tape on it’s last legs you threw across your garage last summer is for. Wrap it up and run out of tape halfway through the job, like a real technician.

4 Likes

I remember a good picture somewhere that shows how due to the uneven contact points, they wear away two main points on the banana strand connectors. Whereas with the split connector at least the entire connector touches each other, but can’t seem to locate that picture.

Edit** found it, over time it gets uneven carbon pitting

@Tony_Stark

3 Likes

Tip, use heat shrink with a glue lining in them over the mating seam of the bullet connector. I’ve tried pulling them out with this on, not easy

4 Likes

You can put small cut pieces of hot melt adhesive inside regular shrinkwrap to a similar effect.

3 Likes

Makerx DV6 Pro. I think it should be ok up to 180 phase amps at least in BLDC control mode. Just haven’t been game to push it that far yet as I’m too poor to unnecessarily blow up another controller😅

4 Likes

Just received and installed my 205kv on my 12a Lacroix Nazare. Super smooth and effortless power!

4 Likes

Yep agree! Just replaced 190kv FS6384s with the Radium 6385s but 205kv.

The Radiums are so much nicer. And I swear they feel like there is more grunt! They run a lot quieter too than the flipskys that had a horrible noise at certain RPM

13 Likes

Are these currently available with the 8mm shafts?

From Radium’s website.

• 10mm shaft with keyway, 40mm length (8mm shaft available on request)

What’s the tear down like on one of these cans? I have 2 RT v4’s 173kv 6385 with almost 1000mi and zero maintenance besides the occasional squirt of canned air. They still run and sound like the day I got em, but eventually a bearing is gonna give way.

2 Likes

The next batch which will be the V6 design will be 8mm shaft only, but the ones that are left of the current batch are all 10mm shaft

4 Likes

Its really easy. We’ll be doing a video showing how to swap bearings out soon. You just need circlip pliers and something like an allen key such as the ones that come in a skate T tool to lever the bearings out. It takes maybe 10 minutes to change all the bearings in one motor

5 Likes

If you got V4s you might want to have a look here:

I took my set apart when I got them. There might be some good recommendations in this post and you can see how to take them apart.
It’s pretty simple.

7 Likes

Still super thankful for your insight on those motors! Big thanks :pray::pray::pray:

1 Like

Any chance of a shorter (24mm?) motor shaft with a channel for a circlip, so these could be easily used with Apex’ gear drives?

1 Like

Anyone with the 205kV one can provide the phase resistance in vesc detection?

1 Like

You can shorten your own shaft and make your own groove with a dremel

2 Likes

If someone hasn’t done it by then I can get the value in a week when my controller arrives.

3 Likes

The V6 shaft will be 30mm because any shorter wont work for some belt drive setups. I could still add a circlip groove in the right spot for the jump drives so its just a matter of cutting the shaft but I worry about it being annoying for people with belt drive pulleys as they may catch on the circlip groove sometimes and the last thing we need is for motor pulleys to be harder to get on/off :joy:

Most gear drives need a pretty short shaft and cutting them isn’t that hard as long as you have access to an angle grinder.

Multiple shaft options would be too expensive for now (need to order hundreds of shafts at time)

2 Likes

IMHO we need a wiki thread just for this kind of information

1 Like