Radium 6485 & 6455 Motors

Reacher 6495 145kv here on a 100d2 seems fine.
Took some tuning and changing of observers to get it to work

2 Likes

That lemming observer is a fantastic sound too

3 Likes

For 18S and stormcore I’d stick with 138kv. The only person I know thats running 151kv successfully on 18S with a stormcore is @Mbrady and it sounds like its been a journey.

Messing with observers sounds interesting

2 Likes

Yeah but I’m running a DX and that’s possibly a large part of why it’s been solid.

2 Likes

I’m doing it too. 151kv reachers on stormcore 100d+ (basically same as v2)

It works fantastic on 5.2 but for some reason 5.3 and 6.0 have issues at high duty cycle. Drv and current faults.

Changing FOC observer made no difference for me.

6 Likes

@Tony_Stark just adding another data point for 151kv here.

I swapped in a 100d and it works great on 6.0 with the reachers on the default observer (mxlemming lambda).

1 Like

Thats great news. Thanks for that :ok_hand:

1 Like

Thanks for the recommended settings @Tony_Stark . Am setting the 205kw up on new board, have makerx dv6 so can only go to 100 amp, running at 90 for leeway. I note the 130 amp recommendation. finding it’s really lacking torque especially on hills and at lower speeds - do the 205s just need more amperage to perform well? Have also dropped gear ratio down to 3.6 but hasn’t really helped. I’m 100kg so there’s a decent load. 200mm tyres.

My other board has 190kw 6375 running 60 amp and plenty of torque so feel like I’m missing something with the setup/build

Just learning the whole Vesc and diy caper so any advice appreciated!

Dropping your gear ratio hurts acceleration. You want to go up in gear ratio to 5.0 or something like that

3.6 ratio, 12s, 205kv, 200mm is going to feel pretty awful. Definitely gear for the lowest top speed you need, and you should have enough torque to have fun

3 Likes

3.6 gear ratio on 200mm tyres with 12S gives a weighted top speed of 78kph which is pretty high if you can only run 90 motor amps. I have a board with the standard DV6 and 205kv and on 100 motor amps it gets overcurrent faults so I just use it in mode 2 at the moment and it still has good torque. Geared for about 58kph though.

Is your board with 6374 motors running a different ESC? What settings have you got for battery and for motor on your DV6 board?

The 6485 should pretty much always have more torque than a 6374 even at same amps, but the higher the kv you use the more amps you need to produce torque. Thats why lately I’ve been recommending 173kv for people using controllers that can’t run more than 100 motor amps like the standard DV6 and focbox unity / xenith…

Might be confused on ratio, have put a bigger motor pulley on, if I remember my bikes that should help acceleration

1 Like

Thats backwards. A calculator like this can be very helpful. Like @Shadowfax says you want to gear for the lowest top speed you’re happy with. I tend to gear 10-20% above what I ride at so I don’t hit the duty limit start.

http://calc.esk8.it/

3 Likes

Yeah, like @Tony_Stark said, you want a bigger wheel pulley, not motor pulley.

72/15 would give you 4.8 gear ratio. I recommend using an esk8 calculator and figuring out what top speed you can live with, and going based off that. If you never ride above 50kph, you can squeeze a lot more power out of this board.

1 Like

Ah maths and physics fail, thanks folks off to order pulleys and facepalm. Appreciate the help and the calculator!

1 Like

No worries. I’ll get those pulleys you ordered shipped this arvo :ok_hand:

2 Likes

We’ve updated our recommended settings chart with a suggestion to use a lower kv if your ESC can’t meet the suggested motor amps. A lower kv motor will make the same torque with less amps at the cost of lower overall horsepower (felt during high speed acceleration).

Choosing 173kv for 12S ESC’s with limited phase amps (such as Stormcore 60D, Xenith, Focbox, standard DV6, etc) will help get the most out of these motors. For ESC’s capable of higher phase amps such as the DV6 Pro then you can use 205 or 245kv without missing out on any torque.

11 Likes

We also haven’t stopped developing these motors. Recently we found a potential way to reduce manufacturing cost and operating temperature by a few degrees. So we are dropping our price in advance to pass this cost saving onto you guys.

The new price takes effect for batch 6 onward, and we are doing limited 173kv and 205kv pre-orders for dispatch towards the end of May. We’ve also finally been able to update the shaft length to 30mm instead of 45mm (we couldn’t do it before due to cost reasons). So most people now won’t need to cut their shafts down.

The update brings the price down from AUD $349 to $298 / USD $233 to $199 per motor.

6 Likes

Do you have any suggestions for a Focbox Unity and the 205kv motors by any chance?
(Already bought the motors last year)

Thanks!!! :pray:

That’s a step down from a stormcore, so he’d probably recommend the lower KV

I would just run 100 motor amps and 50 battery per side (100 motor 100 battery in Focbox UI app) which is pretty much max that ESC can do safely. If you want more punch reduce positive ramping to 0.0s. In fact if you have a hoyt puck reduce it to 0.0 anyway. The puck has its own ramping that softens acceleration. I discovered this when I swapped to a prototype Radium remote and the 300kv motors on the Radium board nearly threw me onto my ass…

2 Likes