QUESTIONS TO E-TOXX topic

I am bamboozled, how do you drive two wheels needing different rotations with one motor? 2 stage gear box? Any links what this is about? Thank you

Itā€™s not the first time an one motor 2WD was done. Maybe not the best for a carver, but from people riding such a setup I also didnā€™t hear anything bad about how it performs.

1 Like

With one long shaft going both ways. Simples!

2 Likes

Yeah, that sounds simple but your outer wheel has different rotation when turning so your out wheel needs to be spinning faster. That is totally bad idea a dangerous on top. I love Jens and his stuff, don['t get me wrong but If this is just plainly connected to both ends of the shaft and the wheels spin the same speed then that makes no sense and that board will be unusuable and dangerous in a little higher speed. Even in low speeds, it doesnā€™t make senseā€¦ Thatā€™s why cars have a differential. Try to drive without one :slight_smile:

Always like to link that one :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Go karts donā€™t have differentials, just a solid axle and they drive fine.
Skateboards have a very large turn radius and a very short track. This combination makes the lack of a differential not a very big deal.

7 Likes

I saw this in Belgium recently and yeah for hard surfaces this does not perform the same as a traditional board. In fact Jens was (I think) 12 seconds quicker round the track the next day on his race mountainboard. These boards are for purely off road - it acts as a locked diff in a car giving you great traction and performance. The board is also running 16S, single VESC and single motor - less electronics (the stuff that usually goes wrong) and more mechanicals.

As for the trucks, video review coming soonā€¦

13 Likes

You are right, thatā€™s why they donā€™t turn as well as they would with having one, also the most energy gets to the front wheels when turning and those arenā€™t locked. On a skateboard you canā€™t have one of your wheels drifting while the other one having traction If you wanna be carving or turning at all. As Lee says, purely for offroad. Which I still couldnā€™t believe but If he says it I will.

Thanks for the input Lee, so purely offroad, that makes more sense.

You are not wrong but as I said keep in mind the turn radius and the short track.
The speed difference between the inner and outer rear wheel is not that big, so while far from ideal, it should be perfectly rideable.

1 Like

As long as you donā€™t turn much it isnā€™t but any difference will result in one wheel slipping a little. So on asphalt that has no positives. But offroad cars sometimes have that so I guess it might help in offroad conditions.

1/8 on road nitro RC cars have no diff in the back and one way bearings in the front.
Go karts again are another example of a solid rear axle.
Both are extremely fast on tarmac.
I am not saying such a board would ride great, all I am saying is donā€™t knock till you try it.

4 Likes

All has been said already. The key is the (relatively) narrow track of the board, so the speed difference is pretty minor. It will still result in one wheel slipping obviously, but I found this to be a non issue. I donā€™t feel any of that, I can take every turn I could take with 2 motors probably.
Especially in an off-road scenario the slippage doesnā€™t hurt the wheel nor the drivetrain. But I also rode long distances on asphalt and honestly I donā€™t feel anything bad there either. Two motors will be a bit more agile I guess, but this setup with a solid axle is really no issue.

2 Likes

IĀ“m late to this party :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Dont know why i didnt see it before, well no matterā€¦

Actually like i build here with this Prototype i would not say that you get alot lighter.
But in generell you can save for sure some wheight, we have some nice new Prototypes which will blow your mind IMO

For me as a mechanical freak i like to reduce electronics and use more mechanics.
One Motor one Vesc Three gearboxes ā€¦ i like it

Hubs are really light for full alloy with 60mm width :
Rearhub with bearings 280gramms
Fronthub without bearings : 240gramms

The concerns of @Esk8_Spirit, many offroad and also onroad vehicles have locked reartrucks.
For example onroad a kart or offroad buggys and quads.
Offroad a locked diff is a very good idea !

Of course this is no street racer, like @Lee_Wright pointed out, but the locked diff is not that much noticable on carving as you maybe think. You dont turn on half a meter, you always have at least 2meter IMO ā€¦ @taz said

Cheers

14 Likes
7 Likes

Great build Jens! Iā€™m looking forward to see next prototype youā€™re willing to sell :stuck_out_tongue:

Just a personal feeling, not against you : I f*cking hate instagram. Sometimes I think itā€™s the lowest level of sharing. Only photos (you can not zoom) and videos. Meaningless comments in various langages. No text. No further explanation. Scrollingā€¦ scrollingā€¦ and scrolling again til youā€™re ā€œup to dateā€.

I miss the time when people created a thread for each build, explaining the way they build it, answering questions with details, telling how it rides. It takes a lot of time, but itā€™s so much valuable.

Anyway donā€™t stop posting pictures et videos! :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Add facebook to the social media you hate and we can be besties?

2 Likes

Okay Instagram is not that bad :innocent:

2 Likes

Instagram is shit.
You canā€™t zoom in, open in full screen etc. Not to mention the complete lack of content organizing and all the other stuff you mentioned.
@NoWind on the other hand is great :wink:

5 Likes

@NoWind

:stuck_out_tongue: Tell us bro ?! :facepunch:

Edit : Get it ^^

2 Likes