Question about Belts and Pulleys

Hey guys
I’m creating this to ask you guys what is your experience with your pulleys and belts
I have been using some 15mm width belts on some 17mm width pulleys, and now that I’m thinking of changing my gear ratio I can only find 15mm width pulleys with the 20T that I want
My question is
Did any of you ever used 15mm belts with 15mm pulleys? I’m afraid that the tight clearance of them will cause for some acelareted wear down

It’s fine as long as you’re not running super high motor speeds, belt tension is far more concerning (the belts usually measure a fraction of a mm under width and pulleys a fraction over)

3 Likes

Mine are 200KV

I’d run that, absolute worst case is the belt rubs a little until it fits perfectly then the wear will slow down, besides belts are cheap

1 Like

I might be concerned if you run an exactly 15mm pulley with dual lips, obviously if 1 side is open then it doesn’t matter because you can have 0.3mm of the belt off the edge and it won’t effect it. But dual lipped you need to align it really well or it could pop the belt over the lip while riding which could be pretty bad

3 Likes

If the axle is long enough, you can spin up the wheels without the motor pulley set screw and it will align itself (assuming the pulley isn’t right)

1 Like

I was thinking of getting a dual lip one

Do you reckon you can get your hands on any 16mm pulley with 20T I’ve looked at your site and saw that you add only 18T max

1 Like

The pulleys labeled “15mm” are almost certainly somewhere between 15.5mm and 17mm wide in actuality. They are probably designed for 15mm belts.

Which pulleys are they?

Can confirm from experience, this is bad

If you do this

Then you will probably be fine. Most of the time crooked motor mounts cause belt alignment problems and belts that jump off or flip over on an idler.

3 Likes

The ones that I have or the ones that I want?
This are the ones that I have now

http://www.diyeboard.com/motor-pulley-with-10mm-shaft-diameter-with-htd-5m-15-teeth-p-660.html

The ones you want

Warning: DIYEboard is a known scammer

I still haven’t decided on the exact pulley
I have looked at this one though

eskating dot eu is Alberto, who is the second-worst person to buy from, right behind DIYE

Why not @Anubis or @Esk8supply ?

1 Like

I have checked anubis but he only has 18T pulleys and I want 20T
The other one I did not know, I will check then now

no luck on the esk8supply, they only had 15T max

What is your motor shaft size?

8mm

1 Like