[Prototyping] Modular Rugged Battery system for esk8

Dual XT60 for 120A would be perfect for Samsung 40T cells. I think dual XT90 should be good enough, I doubt a build with this deck could even practically make use of 180A :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I think you’re right/ Just watched this, and it seems that XT90’s in parallel will be overbuilt enough for this.

XT90s is overkill imo it would work perfect with XT60s

The main battery wire needs to be XT90 though.

I just want to see cells with threaded ends…just bolt everything to a copper bus bar and call it a day

1 Like

11 Likes

I wouldn’t classify the Switchblade as a flexy deck (it’s definitely stiff enough for downhill imho), but all decks flex. I quickly shot a shitty video showing how much:

4 Likes

If i have space for the Xt90’s, is there any reason not to opt for them?

1 Like

How can you add those to a normal cell? Take a flat head bolt and torch the end, add some solder, and sticking it to the cell?

Interesting. I think printing in TPU might be the magic sauce that accommodates for that flex

Given the way they are located, unless you run electronics down the center I say no…looks like 200A burst is fine for them, unless you’re running massive motors up a hill at full speed then you’ll probably toast them

Nope. These are specifically built that way. I forget the form factor specifically but theyre huge cells with a massive output.

Exactly. The less theyre pushed, the lesser the chance of failure. Which is what i like. Not to mention they’re extremely capable, which is also a plus.

1 Like

But you’re definitely not gonna go wrong with as150, if you print them into a housing it’s probably gonna behave like an XT90

God that way it’s partially on that spinny chair gives me the anxieties. I have a chipped front tooth from a metal spinny chair.

3 Likes

I’m calling this “The Mag Clip Pack”
Do you plan on adding some sort of “clipping” mechanism? Just as prevention if the magazine clips were to come loose from vibrations. My connectors are getting loose the more I fiddle with them so someone(me) playing regularly with this modular pack would end up having mag clips sliding in or out with vibrations.

Edit: that’s alot of clips in one post :rofl:

Oh yeah, for sure. Each mag is held in in 3 ways in this design. Its slid in rails that keep it in place, its held by the XT connector, and each mag has 2 m3 screws on the end. This is subject to change but i think as it stands theyre solid

iirc Every clip is made to be exactly the same?so if I were to simply have an extra 1s4p, I could swap a bad pgroup on the fly?
Also I’m the kind of guy who would carry 12 extra clips to double my range. My question would be this. Would it be hard to design some sort of tray with a bms integrated that you simply plug all the extra clips to charge?
Image for clarifying my idea question.

1 Like

Exactly

Nope! As long as the BMS is okay with hotswapping, it’s all good

1 Like

I dont think hotswaps would be required. Since you need all 12 to power the board, theres no point in hot swapping. there should some way of forcing the charger to sense if all 12 extra clips are plugged before charging up. This would also prevent misplugs.

All in all, I’m sold. Want. Need. Have to get.

Well Hotswapping more in the sense that on the balance port, there will be a loss of a voltage and then the sudden addition of a voltage. Im not familiar with balancing IC/s so i’ve reached out to @SimosMCmuffin to see if he can shed some light on it.

1 Like