Preventing flats on pneumatics

Has anyone experienced punctures and then found a way around it?

I had a flat after my first ride, and repaired the tyre/inner straight away. I made sure there was no thorn on the inside of the tyre and pumped it all up again (no bubbles on inner when put under water after repair).

So I went on a ride that day and then this morning there was a puncture again!

It makes me beg the question is there any form of puncture prevention for esk8 wheels? Does slime used on mountain bikes work? Or is there a different alternative?

Thank you,

2 Likes

Slime or tire liners are commonly used options. Havenā€™t used either personally but Iā€™m sure youā€™ll get honest reviews.

3 Likes

Slime works well and if you want to go the extra mile bike tube liners are fantastic if you keep getting thorns and such in your tires. You might also want thicker/harder tires if the compound youā€™re on now is comfortable and soft but keeps getting popped.

5 Likes

Joe, coming in with the closer! My dude.

4 Likes

Iā€™m on trampa 9ā€™ā€™ mud pluggers for the UK winter . Not sure what is thicker!? One thorn went right through the main rubber ā€˜knobā€™ on the tyre and caused a puncture! Effing nightm!

1 Like

Thatā€™s a pretty hardcore thorn then haha

With the 9inch you could probably do the bike tube liners, those worked well for me on my actual bike when I was a kid.

Havenā€™t had any flats on berg front tires or clever rear tires (6in), granted I havenā€™t tried to prevent them either

2 Likes

Slime always, also had puncture on my first ride with pneumatics, never rode again without it, on good tires I never had a flat, even though the tire had a bunch of green spot that slime sealed

Only issue I had was with a brande new tire that was not good and way too soft, a big thorn ripped it open and slime didnā€™t had a chance, but my other tires would handled it fine

2 Likes

Green slime is king. Use a bottle (for 2 bycicle tubes) to fill 8 tubes. More is overkill, a bit less is also ok.

No more flats so enjoy riding :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Green slime didnā€™t work for very long, had a couple of slow leaks that would eventually give way. Armor-Dilloz seems to be working better, havenā€™t had any issues since installing the tires and just about finished this set after a couple of months or riding.

1 Like

Use mr. Tuffy tire liners and cut to size. I will never ride without them.

I can now ride over thorns, glass and more without a second thought aside from Mr. Tuffys slogan ā€œMr. Tuffy has your backā€. I have heard of the slimes but generally hear that they arenā€™t permanent, and are more of a temporary get you home type situation. Honestly having both might be best, but only having slime will still leave you avoiding roadside glass, trails with any thorns and all.

Brown one for 8 inch tires or the green one that is 2xl for 9 inch tires. The green one for 9 inch tires does have to be cut on the edges so that it folds in the tight 9 inch circle.

7 Likes

Iā€™ll second that recommendation. When I was living in Arizona I kept getting flats on my cruiser bike because of goatheads. Mr. Tuffy tire liners worked and I didnā€™t have another flat after I installed them.

2 Likes

Bump. Anyone else got any recommendations? 3 thorns in the tire in the last 3 rides!

Do I need to pump the tyres up more? Currently running between 18-20psi. No clue if thatā€™s enough

I use tire liners. And that have reduced flats to almost zero.

3 Likes

Do the liners affect ride quality in any way? My brother whoā€™s a biker says that they tend to make the tire too hard and add weight, so theyā€™re usually not worth running. Then again mountainbike tires tend to be meatier and thicker than what we use.

1 Like

I didnā€™t notice any difference when adding tire liners. I run hard tires though so It would be harder for me to feel that sort of thing.

Slime in your tire is heavier than the tire liner. You wonā€™t notice either riding, but perhaps a non electric Mountainboard guy might who is jumping his light board all day as he doesnā€™t have 20lbs of electrics onboard.

1 Like

Nope, cant tell the difference installed or not. Itā€™s pretty relieving to know they are installed though. Some downhill mountain bikes weigh less than boards we ride too, and considering they will use way more liner than our 8 inch tires, thats probably why they might notice a difference.

2 Likes

Iā€™m gueuinely surprised this topic has not been brought up before. I will buy some tyre liners (it seems impossible to buy a reliable one in the UK ATM) and hopefully they help! Hope this topic helps out guys like me in the future!

It has :wink:

Glad you got some helpful info, please share your results after you try them out!

1 Like