[POLL] in-stock FOCBOX 1.7: would you buy them? [SRO]

Not going to try that. Probably ahead just the first 20m than i‘m somewhere driving off-road :wink::joy:

3 Likes

Why oh why did they discontinue it?

2 Likes

I dont think the margins are there to entice anyone into making a “nice” esc. Like if companies were tripling their money on each unit there wouldn’t be a shortage of focboxes etc. Freefly just canceled their arc200, which by all accounts was a very smooth controller.

The only esc that seems to be made in volume is the vesc 4.12. Everything else must have too high cost of goods to compete with flipsky.

Btw if anyone wants to work on an esc or eskate project with custom electronics I’ve done a few vesc variants and I love working on this stuff, have altium license and motor test equipment and stuff.

Been wanting to do an American open source bms project as well.

7 Likes

Got any examples of your VESC variants?

We should have ours soon if everything goes as planned. :+1:

12 Likes

@nickw1881 pics or it’s not happening. But seriously, post examples along with what those variants offer differently from the originals :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ok here is a vesc 6 variant that does 150A (250 peaky peak) 120-140 all day

It’s for going inside the motor pod (for keeping cool) in an e-foil, so it has to fit in a tube. It doesnt bring out the sensors, so it didn’t work super well as an eskate driver.

I did another one that’s real small, like 30A peak, for inside of a bluerov2. That pic is in my old phone.

I want to do a bms that is configurable, or different versions can be made from 10-16S and 100-200A max. That exists, but I want one that has freertos on it and speaks uavcan, and I can write new apps or different can protocols.

8 Likes

looks tiny

1 Like

I do mean an OG Focbox from Enertion PTY LTD via some other company, like Enertion USA LLC

2 Likes

For me, it depends if it’s good.

• must use stock Vedder or Ackmaniac firmware
  • must be only an ESC, no antispark or radio or other bits
  • must as good or better then the FOCBOX 1.7
  • must have builtin heatsink
  • must be easy to waterproof (not two boards sandwiched together)

I personally think the Unity is a piece of chit, but that’s just my opinion. I won’t use them. It’s moving closer to the proprietary-cheap-china-dual-ESC and further away from VESC.

9 Likes

The demand isn’t strong enough to make it commercially viable so I’m not going to pursue :sleepy:
Unfortunately we must turn some profit.

4 Likes

I demand!

3 Likes

If you got focboxes I am sure Brian will buy at least the first 100.

4 Likes

I’m not sure there are many cases where a company has released a next generation device, discontinued the old one, and then started making the old one again to meet a small demand. Not usually how tech goes, nor scale of economy.

Plenty of opportunity for someone to take the 1.7 Focbox schematic and build out their own iteration. Personally I prefer vesc6 architecture, so the new TB vesc6 should hopefully hit the sweet spot there for a nearly FOCBOX sized single ESC

12 Likes

Yes, the new TB ESC is definitely on my radar as well. TB does a lot of testing and releases quality new products, so it should be some time before we see that.

8 Likes

Coke Classic. Boom.

The base BOM is a lot more though, right? No cheap vesc6 based hardware.

1 Like

I think he was referring mostly to the current sense architecture of the VESC 6.x series which is fundamentally different {and better} then the way VESC 4.x does it

2 Likes

@torqueboards what’s the estimated retail on your TB VESC6 ?

I won’t hold you to a ballpark!

2 Likes

Not a device? ;D

3 Likes

Hopefully about $135-145.

9 Likes