Plastic deck for ESK8?

From the time when first sk8 was made till now, lot of engineering improvements was made. So probably it is realistic to have deck from plastic or some plastic composite. But it is not just take a material and create form for injection molding. Behind this needs to be development and lot of testing.Not sure if someone will pay this for small eskate community. Therefore It is more realistic to take material or design from different field and use it like Trampa did it with their decks. If Iam right material what they using was designed for some different purpose.

1 Like

I am going to derail my own thread here. Is the Trampa deck a fiberglass/carbon fiber composite?

laminated fiberglass as far as I know

If it just laminated fiberglass, I would think it is not that expensive to make. Maybe add a layer add a thin layer or two on the top and bottom and you have a pretty stiff deck.

I remembre someone on the forum actualy made some trampa clone decks at home, it was a fun thread.
Also there was @eLDoska decks, but well situation fucked up his buisness, I don’t know if he is still arround, if yes he probably has more experience than most in making composite decks

2 Likes

Not me, but I have made a couple of composite decks at home. You might have been referring to @HellKite, but he was using slightly different (core) materials I think.

1 Like

I don’t remember, but there was a lot of funny picture and/or videos of the earliest prototypes, where it was just to flexy
EDIT: did search the forum a bit but no luck

Are you including carbon fiber when you say plastic cores? because it is so light that it feels fake and is lighter than wood. The extension brackets I use from water bourne are made from carbon fiber sheets and epoxy and they’re extremely light and yet very strong and durable. Way lighter than the same piece would be if it was made from maple plywood.

I have at least 3 thousand miles on one of those brackets and it is still working perfectly with no signs of wear other than being dirty. because I got mud on my board a month or more ago and never bothered cleaning it off

1 Like

I’m saying carbon parts often have a core of wood or foam (abs).

I don’t know what u used but likely had a core and not bare carbon that’s hollow

2 Likes

The parts I have are very clearly pure carbon fiber + epoxy because you can see ALL the layers from the sides

*the one on the red surf adapter does have one layer of acrylic paint that I added on and then the final layer of epoxy which is why you see white on the top.

I think these photos should show that pretty clearly? or maybe I just think they do since I have both of them to see and feel IRL :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

They might be solid (laminated) CF.
They will be heavier than the same thing made from wood, but MUCH stronger.
CF is higher density (heavier) than wood, which is one reason why wood cores are often used in CF parts.

1 Like

I don’t have a scale, but it feels super light to me to the point it could be lighter than wood. I don’t have a piece of wood of the same size to compare it to through

Does anyone have any idea where I could get a sheet of laminated fiberglass like what is used in the Trampa deck or a sheet of laminated carbon fiber about the same thickness as used on the surfboard adapter?

I have been playing around with the idea of a modular deck. I have been chatting a bit with @tomiboi about this concept. The deck itself would be flat and around 32-36" long and 10" wide. Concave would be managed with 3d printed wings. Brackets would be used to connect the deck to the trucks. Also a lot easier to attach an enclosure since the underside of the deck is flat. I think a laminated fiberglass or carbon fiber could be used for the deck.

1 Like

Maybe try https://armattanproductions.com/
They used to make some cf parts for Moon
(Or make one)

1 Like

You could try sending a message to water bourne’s customer support and they might be able to help you. They’re generally pretty chill overall although I’ve not asked something like that before. Worst case scenario they say they can’t tell you :person_shrugging:

1 Like

The price of a what would be the size of a deck made of solid carbon and resin looks very expensive.

1 Like

:joy: fuck that.
Like all stuff it depends on quality/quantity etc.
When I made a CF deck, the UD CF fabric from aliexpress (and resin from a local supplier) material cost was maybe a couple hundred bucks.

Solid carbon fiber laminate is really expensive. I like the idea you had. Carbon fiber laminates on a wood core. Kind of like this…

Probably way cheaper to have a deck builder like Tomiboi laminate a wood deck with carbon fiber.

1 Like

While carbon fiber is a great material, it is also a great RF blocker. Issue’s with remote signal can and have happened. Some remotes do better, some carbon blocks less, but it is a factor to consider.

Its not the end of the world because there are ways around it by moving recievers/external antennas/“rf window” in deck and place reciever there.
Fiberglass has little to no rf blocking properties and can get similar results.

3 Likes

I am surprised that the Trampa and Kaly decks are mostly fiberglass. It seems fiberglass is a pretty nice material to make decks out of.